Sr. Manager, Data Governance Engineering
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover. A more rewarding way to work. At Discover Financial Services, you ‘ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals and at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth, with attention to work life balance. Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other.
This role can sit either at our Riverwoods, IL headquarters, or at our state-of-the-art downtown Chicago location at 350 N. Orleans.
We are seeking a technical senior manager that will lead our Data Governance engineering group within our Advanced Analytics technology organization. You will be responsible for leading a team of high performing data engineers and architects that are tasked with building reusable frameworks and products enabling data governance across our company’s data assets on premise and in the cloud. These products and frameworks will be utilized across many different data engineering teams enabling them to support our organization’s data needs.
Your team will work with technologies and products such as Alation for Data Cataloging, Ab Initio DQE for data quality, Spark(python/scala), Kinesis, Kafka, EMR, MPP Databases (Snowflake & Redshift), NoSQL DBs, and other various AWS services (Glue). Additionally, you will have flexibility to determine new technology stacks as needed. You will be on the forefront of helping to drive our data governance product strategy and implementation.
Some of your team’s efforts include building out a company wide Data Catalog Platform used by our data analyst and scientists as well as providing data quality platform used by our data engineers. Additionally, your team will engineer automated data classification solutions. Your products will work both in the batch/real-time space.
The Advanced Analytics organization is delivering a next-gen analytic ecosystem through new tools, frameworks and data enablement products on the cloud. The Data Governance Engineering team plays a critical role in creating these tools via in house development, evaluating open-source frameworks, and third party solutions. You will be responsible for developing and mentoring existing team members while also recruiting high performing cloud data engineers/architects. Additionally you will need to be able to demonstrate the technical aptitude to learn new technologies as you will be working in a rapidly evolving landscape delivering transformative products.
- Deliver on our Advanced Analytics Governance strategy, which consist of implementing third-party and internally engineered products that will run in the cloud and on premise
- Build a culture of learning and innovation with the ability to learn new data technologies & practices while spearheading next generation data governance within the organization
- Bring a passion to stay on top of data governance trends, experiment with new technologies, participate in data governance communities and act as an internal mentor to users of these platforms
- Ability to set technology strategy and vision for the team
- Proven track record of developing junior and experienced engineers/ technicians
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- At least 7 years’ experience working in software, data or systems engineering role
- At least 3 years’ experience managing engineering teams
- Hands on experience implementing Data Quality/Cataloging/Classification solutions
- BS in Computer Science / related field or equivalent experience
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as Glue, EMR, Lambda, Step Functions, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, SNS, SQS, S3, VPC, EC2, RDS, IAM
- Experience in ETL / Data application development (preferably Ab Initio)
- Hands-on experience integrating open source components into data-analytic solutions
- Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
- Knowledge of application development lifecycles, & continuous integration/deployment practices
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, Scala, Java)
- Experience in version control systems such as Git.
- Experience working with Spark and real-time analytic frameworks
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Very strong verbal & written communication skills
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Proficiency with cloud technologies and concepts (AWS preferred)
- Experience within the Financial industry
- Snowflake MPP database experience
- Graph database experience
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!