Sr. Pentaho Big Data Engineer
Job Description Summary
The Enterprise Analytics team at CCC has an open position for a Senior Pentaho Engineer. The team builds analytical solutions to provide insights to internal and external clients of CCC businesses in auto property damage and repair, medical claims and telematics data. Our solutions include analytical applications to identify the right claim cost to pay, claim cycle time processing, workflow productivity, financial performance, client and consumer satisfaction, and industry benchmarks.
Our data engineers use big data technology to create best-in-industry analytics capability. This position is an opportunity to use Pentaho with HDFS, Spark and Kafka technology for batch and streaming analytics. Data processes in Pentaho, if appropriate, include ingestion, standardization, metadata management, business rule curation, data enhancement, and statistical computation against data sources that include relational, XML, JSON, streaming, REST API, and unstructured data. Pentaho has provided a metadata injection layer for data ingestion across six SQLServer sources that will be leveraged for additional source ingestion.
The role has responsibility to understand, prepare, process and analyze data to drive operational, analytical and strategic business decisions. The Senior Pentaho Data Engineer will work closely with big data engineers, product owners, information engineers, data scientists, data modelers, infrastructure support and data governance positions. This role requires exceptional Pentaho developer skills who can mentor big data engineers in the appropriate solution architecture and Pentaho development practices. While you do not have to have big data skills, we are seeking Pentaho engineers who start with a base of programming skills but who also love to learn new tools and techniques in a big data landscape that is endlessly changing.
- Build end to end data flows from sources to fully curated and enhanced data sets. This can include the effort to locate and analyze source data, create data flows to extract, profile, and store ingested data, define and build data cleansing and imputation, map to a common data model, transform to satisfy business rules and statistical computations, and validate data content.
- Produce data building blocks, data models, and data flows for varying client demands such as dimensional data, data feeds, dashboard reporting, and data science research & exploration
- Create, modify and maintain Pentaho code and complex SQL for BI/DW data flows
- Learn to program in Spark and Python where Pentaho Spark co-generation is not adequate
- Produce automated tests of data flow components
- Use knowledge of the business to automate business-specific tests for data content quality
- Automate code deployment and promotion
- Build automated orchestration with Pentaho and error handling for use by production operation teams
- Provide technical expertise to diagnose errors from production support teams
- Collaborate with team members in an Agile team (e.g., Scrum)
- Participate as both leader and learner in team tasks for architecture, design and analysis
- Coordinate within collocated on-site teams as well as with work plans for off-shore resources
- Bachelor’s Degree or Two Year Technical Program with a Programming Specialization
- B.S. preferred in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Minimum two years of development experience with Pentaho with a preference for five years of ETL tool experience which can be from other tools such as Talend, DataStage, and Informatica
- Experience with development of metadata-driven and fully parameterized Pentaho environments
- Advanced SQL coding skills for data transformations, profiling, and query tasks
- Unix commands and scripting
- Experience in agile environments such as scrum and Kanban
- Preference for experience in Hadoop fundamentals and architecture: HDFS, map-reduce, job performance
- Preference for open source big data skills in tools such as Hive, HBase, parquet, Spark SQL
- Programming in a language such as Python (preferred), Scala, etc.
Why Choose CCC:
We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer generous benefit plans and resources designed with employee satisfaction in mind.
What we value is simple - customers, employee commitment, collaboration and clear communication.
We hire people who will embrace the company’s goals and productively contribute in ways that help us serve the customer, innovate, and stay strong.
We make it a priority to keep employees healthy, happy and enriched.
- Healthy - Wellness programs, competitive medical benefit offerings
- Happy – Recognition programs, a confidential employee assistance program, Perkspot/employee discount program and potentially flexible work arrangements such as staggered start times
- Enriched – Tuition reimbursement, training and learning programs, and leadership development opportunities
Our corporate headquarters is located in downtown Chicago within the historic Merchandise Mart—a certified LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) building.
Please Note: Contingent Workers, Field Inventory Representatives and Interns are not eligible for the benefits above.
CCC Information Services was recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Mid-Sized Employers in 2018 and ranked #17 in the Top 100 Digital Companies in Chicago in 2017 by Built In Chicago.
CCC is ready to help you shift your career into high gear. Let's get started!