Tech Lead, Data Science Products at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future.
What we are looking for/Responsibilities
- Develop high-quality software
- Support and mentor other engineers throughout the organization
- Solve complex technical and strategic problems
- Effectively apply Civis best practices methodology and enforces design standards, extending them where needed
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and archived appropriately
- Ability to research, prototype and recommend software solutions
- Collaborate with other teams, leaders, and clients
- Engage the project on an emotional level as well as technical
- 5+ years of experience as a data engineer, data scientist, software engineer, or similar role, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- 1+ years leading teams of software engineers and/or data scientists
- Functional knowledge and ability to code in Python
- Demonstrated experience building team culture and engineering processes, especially on high growth teams
- Experience building complex data-related applications with modern languages and frameworks
- Love of problem-solving and a demonstrable ability to self-start
- Exemplification of an eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- US work authorization
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or another quantitative field
- Significant experience with any of the following:
- Leading technical teams
- project management and/or UI/UX design
- Python, R, Ruby, and/or Go (golang)
- Query optimization, database administration, analytics databases
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Statistics and predictive modeling (using tools like pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SciPy, or Tensorflow)
- Apache Spark/PySpark
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW