Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Vice President of Data and Analytics (DNA) Business risk is responsible for coordinating between the Business and Corporate Risk Management to build effective and efficient risk processes that comply with Company policies, standards, and regulatory requirements. Serving as a risk subject matter expert ("SME"), through the facilitation of risk programs and processes (i.e., identification, measurement, monitoring, management and reporting), to provide a point of effective challenge and escalation. This leader will execute the responsibilities of the Risk Office as outlined in Corporate Policies and Standards.
The Vice President will ensure risk processes are owned, implemented, and managed within the Business including issue identification, proactive root-cause analysis of potential customer harm, and timely mitigation of risks. In addition, this leader will facilitate risk program deferrals and acceptance of risk within the Business, help communicate the Company's risk culture and appetite within the Business, and ensure consistency with the tone from the top established by the Board and Senior Management.
This executive will oversee enterprise-wide 1st line responsibility for all aspects of model risk including model governance, model validation, model performance monitoring, and model risk aggregation and reporting. The Vice President will work closely with leaders of various model development, implementation and model usage teams to set the enterprise model risk framework and conduct model risk assessment activities.
- Responsible for being the voice of risk within the business reporting to the business head.
- Key voice in corporate committees, representing the business to the company Executive Committee.
- Reports regularly and comprehensively on the effectiveness of the Business’s risk management processes and on its exposures to approved limits to the heads of the business including the Executive Committee.
- Helps communicate the Company’s risk culture and appetite within the Business consistent with the tone from the top established by the Board and Senior Management.
- Responsible for business-risk measurement framework to assess risk exposures and emerging trends.
- Owns an effective control testing program that aligns with the risks inherent to the business.
- Guides the first line efforts for validation of a variety of models across the company covering credit underwriting, marketing, fraud, AML, revenue and loss forecasting, operational risk, economic capital, financial planning, asset liability management and new emerging Machine Learning approaches.
- Partners with the business to proactively and effectively address risk management issues identified as a result of internal or external events, or by other control functions.
- Facilitates risk program deferrals and acceptance of risk within the Business.
- Coordinates between the Business and Corporate Risk Management to build effective and efficient risk processes that complies with Company policies, standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Establishes risk thresholds and escalation points within the business.
- Assesses business-risk exposures based on events, indicators, external factors or other information the Risk Officer deems necessary.
- Ensures risk processes are owned, implemented, and managed within the Business including issue identification, proactive root-cause analysis of potential customer harm, and timely mitigation of risks.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in credit risk, model risk, decision sciences, analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence or a related field.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.