VP, Data Science at Quantium
Since 2002, Quantium have combined the best of human and artificial intelligence to power possibilities for individuals, organizations and society. Whether it be building forecasting engines that are driving down food wastage or creating tools that combat human trafficking, Quantium believes in better goods, services, experiences for a brighter future.
As a VP, Data Science, you will be leading our key client relationships, developing our data science teams and managing complex projects to deliver meaningful value through high value consulting and emerging and mature product solutions.
This role will see you working on extremely tough predictive modeling / data science problems with real world demand drivers and in turn real world impact. If you are excited about the challenge of partnering with our biggest clients to develop new proof of concepts and transition them into complex solutions that scale, we would love to hear from you.
Can you share a little more on some of Quantium’s projects?
At Quantium, we don’t shy away from complex, technical problems. We leverage extremely large and often disparate datasets in the retail and banking industries to solve problems for our clients that have never been solved previously. These include business problems like optimizing product offering, personalization of customer interactions, inventory forecasting and price elasticity for some of the biggest companies in the world. We work in fast-paced environments on transformational projects with tight timeframes, often teaming up in Agile delivery squads. Our projects are diverse, and our solutions have a big impact on our clients’ businesses, shaping the direction of their industries and the experience of the customers they touch.
What will I be doing as a VP, Data Science, at Quantium?
We find that each of our VPs bring their own unique strengths to shape their role and we would be excited to explore that further with you. As a general overview, you will lead a project team of data scientists (between 4 to 8 people) and will have accountability and ownership of the technical solution design and overall delivery of practical solutions for real world problems. These will typically be end-to-end data science solutions, including deploying complex models that underpin decision-engines our clients will deploy. You will also be working closely with our clients to propose and scope new project opportunities and foster strategic, positive relationships.
As a key people leader within the team, you will play a crucial role in recruitment, development, workforce planning and team strategy. Working with some of the brightest people in the industry, we are seeking strong technical leaders to continue fostering our positive culture that brings the best out of our people.
Why should I be excited about this opportunity?
With our Americas team being established a little over three years ago, this is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, high growth environment where each team member is contributing in their own unique way and can have a big impact on the success of the team. You also have Quantium’s global capability (proven products and solutions built over 17 years!) to back you.
Today in the US, we are working with some of the biggest companies in the world and have built some uniquely strong relationships with our clients. Within a collaborative team environment, you will be working closely with rest of the team and the Head of the US to deliver against agreed targets, P&L and overall growth plans, taking the success our of US business to our full potential. And the ceiling on your own growth is completely up to you.
You've mentioned consulting work. Can you tell me more about the travel requirements?
Our team is committed to growing trusted relationships with our clients. For the current and upcoming projects, you will be required to work onsite at client offices for 80% of your time, with our current opportunities located in Bentonville, Arkansas and San Francisco, California. We are happy to be creative with travel options to accommodate to individual needs, however, our teams are currently based in San Francisco, Bentonville or Chicago, with travel depending on where their client is based.
What is Quantium looking for in the ideal candidate?
Firstly, you can be anybody, from any walk of life. Before we get to your skills, we want to assure you that we actively try to foster an environment where all our employees feel safe, welcomed and celebrated. We look for the same in all people we hire.
At Quantium, our team are solving problems that haven’t previously been tackled in these industries. With multiple teams and projects operating on a massive scale, you’ll be a pragmatist and a true innovator who loves to solve complex issues and doesn’t shy away from ambiguity, as well as provide the team with the focus to remain on track to meet key client deliverables. In leading technical solution design and your team, you will bring your smarts and creativity to ensure we are always thinking of new things and learning swiftly from our mistakes when things don’t work out.
Do have a bullet point list so I can see if I meet the requirements of this opportunity?
We know people are not bullet points but here we go:
- You will likely have 10+ years’ experience with at least 3 years operating at a senior level in a client facing capacity and demonstrated ability to lead data scientists on complex projects
- A strong technical data science background; ideally with predictive modeling and machine learning experience, leading the solution design component
- Proficiency in at least one of Spark / Scala, R or Python
- A desire to lead technical projects and teams, providing best practice guidance, coaching and review of technical work
- A degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. actuarial studies, mathematics / statistics, engineering, computer science etc
- Formal people management experience and have a passion for supporting and seeing your team succeed
- Your keen eye for detail and in depth understanding of the data will see you understand the inner workings of what our team is building and be able to quickly identify the downstream impacts of analytical roadblocks
- Proven track record in building positive stakeholder relationships and the ability to secure new project proposals will be highly regarded
What else can I look forward to?
- Flights, accommodation and a per diem for work travel
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter tax benefit (in Chicago and San Francisco)
- Retirement 401(k) plan with 6% employer contribution
- Annual bonus scheme
- Annual company weekend trip and plenty of other team events