Associate Product Designer at Morningstar
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But what sets us apart is how we take that data and research, and pair it with the latest technology and thoughtful design, to deliver insights with a purely independent view that address a wide range of needs for our customers. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for their clients.
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
We’re looking for an Associate Product Designer to join Morningstar’s Independent Advisor Software team. This team intersects and transforms investor data with Morningstar’s independent research, data, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. We need a designer who loves the challenge of turning complex data into great communication design, translating usage patterns into intuitive interactions and workflows, and working in an incredibly collaborative environment. This position is based in our Chicago office.
You'll need to have these strengths:
• Experience design - Identify connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for holistic user experience. Create personas, experience maps, and user journeys to identify pain points and opportunities within an experience.
• Information architecture - Solve a variety of navigation and information organization challenges, using deliverables such as site maps to visually communicate relationships between pages and content.
• Design thinking – Recognize user-driven problem solving and design thinking methods by preparing materials for workshops, contributing to research sessions, and helping the team create prototypes.
• Interaction Design - Create wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes, task flows and other artifacts to visualize and communicate design direction. Support the Morningstar Design System by defining and specifying consistent interactions, patterns, and conventions.
• Problem solving and initiative - Apply creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things. Actively seek out new challenges and tasks and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
You’ll also be expected to:
• Collaborate with the product owner, visual designer, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions.
• Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers when appropriate. Collect, interpret, and prioritize the feedback you receive.
• Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
• Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
• Be curious, resourceful, and have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems.
• Prioritize your work and know when to ask for help or clarity.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-2 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
• Strong knowledge of Sketch, InVision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
002_MstarAssocLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity