Communications + Design Associate
Communications + Design Associate, UI LABS
UI LABS is a tech organization driving the digital future of manufacturing and cities. We help companies solve problems far too big for them to solve on their own and connect them to innovators at universities and startups. By guiding our more than 300 partners through complex projects, we help them deliver cutting-edge solutions to their customers, improve their financial performance and transform industries. UI LABS encompasses the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) and City Tech Collaborative.
+ Position Overview
UI LABS is actively recruiting candidates for the position of Communications + Design Associate, reporting to the Director of External Relations. This position is responsible for cross-company support in the areas of marketing and communications, graphic design, content development, social media management, brand cohesion, and website management. Demonstrated expertise is required in areas that include presentation design, digital and print design, writing, social media management, and brand management.
+ Key Responsibilities
- Create and edit PowerPoint presentations for leadership and team to be used for speaking engagements and high-profile meetings
- Design flyers, brochures, event signage, and other print marketing materials upon request
- Create professional and engaging imagery for UI LABS’ web and social media presence
- Oversee all UI LABS social media accounts, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram
- Maintain the UI LABS website and ensure that news, press releases, and events pages, and homepage graphics are kept up to date
- Monitor UI LABS branding to ensure company-wide use of approved brand templates, logos, email signatures, etc.
- Lead the development and design of company newsletters and email blasts
- Assist with onsite event photography
- Compile news clips to be circulated internally each week
- Schedule and take professional headshots for company employees
+ Position Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Graphic Design, or a related field
- 1-2 years’ experience in marketing and design
- Fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Experience designing in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Online or printed portfolio with samples of design work
- Experience managing web content in WordPress, Duda, etc.
- Experience scheduling posts and managing social accounts in Sprout Social, Hootsuite, etc.
- Experience in Eventbrite, MailChimp, and Google Analytics, or similar platforms
- Photography experience is a plus
- Passion for the mission of transforming industries through digital technologies
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing work situations and responsibilities as well as work collaboratively and effectively at all levels of the organization
- Detail-oriented and organized self-starter with an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously across a diverse and talented team
- Ability to approach problems creatively and be a solutions-oriented leader
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
+ Work with Us
UI LABS is a results-oriented, lean, collaborative tech organization and 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are hard-working, mission-driven, flexible, and work with a sense of urgency. We hire tech-savvy, committed, self-starters who can think outside the box, and have a strong capacity to learn and adapt to the needs of the organization and the role through both skill and grit. All-star employees excel without the help of administrative support, and don’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty (figuratively!). Additionally, people who love to solve problems, no matter how big or small, find they are a good fit for UI LABS.
Our state-of-the-art facility, located on Goose Island in Chicago (just north of downtown), features a manufacturing floor, a smart green infrastructure testbed, and a bustling open-office environment. UI LABS is a collaborative space, hosting many events for our partners and other prestigious organizations, so being able to engage with staff and visitors in a professional, helpful manner is a must.
UI LABS is a 10-minute walk from the North and Clybourn Red Line stop, a 20-minute walk from the Division Blue Line stop, and accessible by a variety of other public transit options; additionally, we have free parking available for employees.
+ Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
UI LABS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment in our workplace, our communities, and within the tech industry. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, disability status, economic circumstance, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.