Design Engineer at Sprout Social
From our employee experience to our products, design matters at Sprout Social. We’re looking for a Design Engineer to join our team as we advance our design system, Seeds, to facilitate the development of beautiful, helpful, and easy-to-use software that powers human connection. Seeds is home to all of the tools and resources needed to understand the Sprout brand, express it creatively, and inspire meaningful customer experiences. In this role, you’ll own the creation and stewarding of platform-agnostic products and programs that our internal teams at Sprout can leverage to embody the Sprout brand and build effective experiences more efficiently.
As a Design Engineer, you’ll be surrounded by smart, ambitious, and caring teammates that want to build great things, together. With our feedback-driven culture, you’ll run workshops to get system, pattern, and component input while offering helpful advice of your own to others. You’ll expand your knowledge of our business, users, and use cases. You’ll put all of your design and front-end development skills on display. Even better: you’ll learn new ones along the way.
Collaboration and partnership is key for everyone working at Sprout Social. On our Design Systems team, you’ll partner with other designers, engineers, product managers, marketers, and senior executives to constantly evolve and improve the integrity of Seeds. You’ll apply past experience advocating for close partnerships across disciplines, leveraging your ability to speak and move fluidly between the languages of these business functions. You’ll bring a much-needed engineering perspective to the design process to voice issues with feasibility and call out missed edge-cases. And, you’ll be a constant user advocate in every conversation you’re a part of, championing the needs of those who engage with your system and demonstrating your keen user-centered problem solving abilities.
We’re excited to see your work at every stage of the design process, from concepts to code. We can’t wait to gain your technical perspective on our approach to work, and hear ideas you may have to improve how we collaborate or even how the business operates. We’ve got a great culture, and we’re looking forward to you adding your own influence to all that we do. If you’re a systems thinker with a proven track record of applying your design and development skills to elevate the quality of products, we’d love to talk to you!
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- Excellent aptitude in HTML and CSS, gained through 2+ years of web dev experience
- Full stack design skills and a portfolio that showcases not only what you’ve shipped, but the impact it had
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Familiarity integrating with third party APIs
- Familiarity with styled-components, Webpack, Jest, Storybook or Gatsby
Note: When applying, please share a link to a portfolio that showcases your recent work.Within 1 month, you will…
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to building products.
- Meet all of the designers on our team, getting a lowdown on our design system, tools and file structures, and learn how Product Design partners with every other organization in the company.
- Meet your engineering partners, and familiarize yourself with our design patterns and component library, Racine.
- Get to know your counterparts within our product organization and form important bonds with Product Managers.
- Learn how Sprout has done things to date, and think about how we make our Design Systems team and processes even better going forward!
- Attend product planning, stand-ups and all other productive rituals across the wide range of teams you’ll be a part of.
- Develop a solid foundation of knowledge on our product, design system, and related processes.
- Begin to improve Seeds in small ways by building components, creating documentation, and addressing other maintenance issues.
- Take advantage of Sprout’s ‘Focus Days’—a day dedicated to no meetings so everyone can focus on the work that we’ve committed to.
- Identify opportunities to improve our modes of contribution and collaboration for Design Systems within the wider org.
- Share your own tactics, processes, and favorite things about being a maker while geeking out with fellow designers and engineers within the broader Product organization at Sprout.
- Continue career conversations with your manager and make sure you’re working not just toward the goals of the company, but your personal growth goals as well.
- Deepen your influence on our systems and tooling strategy as you learn more about our internal team needs, customer needs, and industry.
- Run your own workshops to bring together engineers, product managers, and other people around the company to collaborate on defining and designing how we deliver great user experiences.
- Create net-new patterns, components, and documentation that advance Seeds and enable the system to better meet the needs of its users.
- Get involved in Sprout Design programs and initiatives at the practice level.
- Have learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t on our team. You’ll help us think through how we make Sprout Design even better for the next year ahead!
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application to see whether your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2020 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.