Designer, User Experience
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
We are looking for a user experience designer for our Financial Planning team in Professional Software group. Backed by Morningstar's independent research, methodologies, high-quality data, behavioral science and innovative product design, our newly formed Financial Planning capabilities team builds modern software that helps individuals and their advisors create, invest for, and achieve financial goals. We need a designer who loves the challenges of turning complex data into the meaningful design, translating usage patterns into intuitive, rewarding interactions and workflows, and working in a highly collaborative environment.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
· Identifying connections between products, services, and touchpoints to account for a great user experience.
· Guiding teams to build coordinated solutions that will support the end-to-end vision of the product experience.
· Solving navigation and information organization challenges.
· Making and articulating decisions around information structure, relationships, and content strategy.
· Visualizing and communicating a user’s task flow through various parts of a product and system.
· Utilizing user-centered design methods in day-to-day work to inform design decisions (such as user research, prototyping, and other design thinking).
· Creating visual artifacts to visualize and communicate design direction (such as wireframes and low-fidelity prototypes).
· Supporting the Morningstar Design System by using consistent interactions, patterns, and conventions.
· Applying creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution, while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things.
· Actively seeking out new challenges and tasks and be tenacious in overcoming obstacles to achieve results.
You’ll also do things like:
· Collaborate with the product owners, visual designers, and engineers on your squad to make product decisions.
· Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process with stakeholders and other designers.
· Participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
· Participate in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
· Adapt your work and approach to meet changing priorities as they occur.
· Be curious, resourceful, flexible and adaptive
· Have a desire to solve challenging information, communication, and systems design problems.
· Bachelor’s degree
· At least 3 years of relevant professional experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
· Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
· Knowledge of HTML and CSS
· Degree in a field related to human-computer interaction, design, library sciences, psychology, or communication
How to apply:
Include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.