Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to help investors reach their financial goals. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, with an equal commitment to craft and compassion.
Morningstar is looking for an intermediate visual designer for our Products group who loves taking on a variety of challenges. You’ll be working with a team to translate complex information into usable design, bringing wireframes to life through compelling interface design, and creating great user experiences for our diverse client base. Visual designers at Morningstar work with our design teams, product teams, and our tech and business partners to develop, iterate, and improve our existing software and content.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
You’ll be great at:
- Making informed design decisions around typography, space, color, and iconography while using the Morningstar Design System and expressing the Morningstar brand.
- Making complex information understandable and creating design concepts that are engaging, attractive, and user-friendly.
- Solving challenging information and communication design problems and presenting multiple concepts for consideration.
- Expressing the Morningstar brand throughout your product, and when possible, contributing back to the Morningstar Design System.
- Creating prototypes with interactive transitions, visual specs, and other artifacts to communicate design direction.
- Contributing to the user experience design for our software products and services by improving the quality of user interactions through overall design, information presentation, and flow.
- Applying user-driven problem-solving and design thinking methods—such as research studies, prototyping sessions, and user analysis—to make and support informed decisions.
- Participating in user research and prototyping activities, such as helping with planning, taking notes during sessions, and helping analyze the data.
You’ll also do things like:
- Collaborate with product owners, engineers, and UX designers on your squad to make product decisions.
- Clearly articulate design decisions and share your process when appropriate.
- Plan and participate in critiques, workshops, design studios, and other design activities.
- Demonstrate design skills, especially concerning typography, information hierarchy, and data visualization
- Be curious, resourceful, and have a desire to solve challenging information and communication design problems.
- Have excellent interpersonal and analytical skills; be self-directed, comfortable working independently, and able to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3 years of experience designing for software, web and/or digital products.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or equivalent experience/training in the graphic arts.
- Strong knowledge of Sketch, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Mac OS X
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
How to apply:
Include a link to your online portfolio or attach PDF samples along with your resume.