About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About You: You believe design is a method for solving problems, not a deliverable. We are looking for experience in advocating for the user, while leveraging potential business and technical constants. This will require you to both understand the problem you are solving and execute the appropriate solution.You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful (not just viable) Product.
You’ve been doing this for awhile now but still like to get your hands dirty on occasion. You're using the latest tools, you’re familiar with the trends in the industry. While you won’t be executing day to day work, you will be giving hands on instruction / mentorship for the design team as a whole. The ability to shape the craft is as important as shaping the strategy.
To support these platforms and our business, we are currently seeking a seasoned and highly experienced Director, Product Design to provide design oversight across critical company initiatives and to provide leadership & team mentoring for our Chicago Studio.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Have oversight and be responsible for time commitments for all design work.
- Be responsible for helping set and shape Grubhub’s design vision, direction and studio culture.
- Oversee the coaching and development of Design managers and Design Leads.
- Serve as a key member of the Product Leadership team (along with User Research and Product Management).
- Be responsible for building a high performing and efficient design organization.
***Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered. ***
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience in design, building consumer-facing products
- 7+ years experience managing design teams (UI, UX, Content strategy) and coaching top-talent at all levels
- Team advocate through phases of definition, prioritization, resourcing, and strategic execution
- Strong collaboration skills to ensure seamless partnership between Product Management, User Research, and Engineer Leaders to ensure the delivery of work aligns to the overall company goals
- Experience launching multiple concurrent products across a matrix organization
- Superior domain knowledge and expertise in several design competencies and how they relate to business and technology
- Bachelors Degree in Creative or Design related field
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.