Experience Design - Human Centered Design at Slalom
Slalom is a modern consulting firm focused on strategy, technology, and business transformation. In over 30 markets across the US, UK, and Canada, Slalom's teams have autonomy to move fast and do what's right. They're backed by regional innovation hubs, a global culture of collaboration, and partnerships with the world's top technology providers. Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Seattle, Slalom has organically grown to over 7,500 employees. Slalom was named one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2019 and is regularly recognized by employees as a best place to work.
Consultant - Experience Design - Human Centered Design
Bring amazing daily. That's what we ask.
We're looking for makers, collaborators, individuals who breathe design; those who always want to make digital, brand, process, service or environmental experiences just a little bit richer. We’re looking for designers with empathy—someone who cares about listening to other people, understanding the human experience, and making things that matter.
At Slalom, Experience Design is stepping up its game at a global level and we want you to join us during this exciting time of growth. You’ll have the chance to shape the future of XD. Those that succeed here have an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset. They see the glass half full and take the world by storm as both as a self-starter and leader of initiatives.
Can you see yourself here? Our Chicago XD team focuses on:
- Human-centered design - Research & analysis, service design, rapid prototyping & testing, design workshops & coaching
- UX - Experience strategy, audience research & analysis, information architecture, design & interaction, audience validation & usability testing
- Creative services - Executive presentations & training, branding & graphic design, conferences & events, video
Jump in. Here's a sample of what might happen on your first day:
- Collaborating with clients and internal teams to design the overall user experience for a wide variety of digital experiences and applications, from desktop to mobile and whatever’s next—addressing things like interactions, information architecture and visual design
- Planning, conducting, and leading client white-boarding sessions, design sprints, design workshops, and project meetings
- Prototyping (ranging from low- to high-fidelity with interactions and visual design) solutions and iterating them based on user insight and client feedback
- Helping clients better understand their users – through structuring and conducting user research and evaluating usability of finished designs
- Advising clients of current UX/XD methodologies, while maintaining flexibility and adapting to their methods
- Working with development teams to refine scope and ensure proper implementation
- Collaborating with your XD teammates from design reviews to pitches for new work
- Bringing your own unique perspective to solving challenging problems
- 5+ years of experience in one or more of the following: service design, customer experience design, user experience design, communication design, design research, design strategy, design consulting, product design/development, or related design field.
- Executive presence – outstanding communication, design thought leadership, presentation and storytelling skills
- Breadth of experience along the spectrum of HCD and ability to wear multiple hats
- Experience driving, facilitating, and delivering high-quality design outputs across multiple channels (digital, physical, human).
- Experience creating personas, customer journey maps, service design blueprints, and research deliverables
- Experience with prioritizing strategic initiatives to help clients maintain momentum and focus on what matters most to users
- Ability to make information consumable and intuitive through message simplification and visual design
- Expert-level proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Consistent attention to detail in your work
- Experience estimating HCD project efforts and managing workload
- Ability to lead, passion for learning, and drive to grow
- Portfolio of work samples that expresses your design work and original approaches to the challenges. Your portfolio should show your end-to-end design process, not just the final solution.