If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.Company Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewJoin a World Class Design Team!
With 100+ design awards, our team’s purpose built solutions are recognized worldwide by the most distinguished and select design organizations. We are in the Top Ten of companies in North America for IF awards and recognition.
Who Are We?
We are the Innovation and Design Team, our team is embedded in the Chief Technology Office, the innovation engine for Motorola Solutions. We are user-focused and outcome-driven, identifying problems and creating solutions based on research and engagement with our customers.
What Do We Do?
Working to understand our customers' unique "jobs to be done" is a foundational principle of the CTO and our team.
- WE Research to find unmet needs...
- WE Envision an ideal future...
- WE Apply our expertise in user experience and design, user + human factors research, advanced wireless communications, cloud & mobile application architecture, cyber-security, imaging, analytics, and artificial intelligence (AI).
- WE Design innovative end to end hardware and software solutions.
These solutions form the basis of many products and systems offered by Motorola Solutions. We also help manage Motorola Solutions Venture Capital investments and intellectual property across the company.
The Innovation and Design Team is a cross functional group within Motorola Solutions Chief Technology Office. User Centered Design and Research is the fuel that fires the next generation of experiences and solutions for our mission critical customers and users. The team consists of Industrial Design, UI/UX, Research, and Technologist who design for diverse and challenging markets. Police, Fire and Industrial user groups all have very distinct and tangible design problems; whether it’s the dirt, grime and high noise of industrial environments, gloves and turnout gear for Fire or managing intense cognitive loads during police action. Our team is exploring, testing and designing for emerging technologies that will define the next generation commercial, public safety and first responder communication solutions. Your designs will enable a Use Experience and total solution that can save lives in moments that matter.
Are you compelled to impact users in the “Moments that Matter” with your work? Would you like to be on a highly collaborative team using social sciences and user centered design to address a global customer base with mission critical use cases. Do you seek complex challenges to transform them into meaningful designs and critical experiences. Do you embrace a world that is changing faster than ever with lots of ambiguity, and speed. Does empathy for the user provide you purpose, do you desire to build for their needs and wants, so they can be safer and more efficient. Do you know the value of good design, do you insist on it.
Creative Contributions and You | Work Description and Skills
- Integrate effectively into a multidisciplinary group that includes cognitive and behavioral scientists, interaction designers, and human factors engineers and deliver to strict deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Uncover problems and develop them into ideas that become design solutions grounded by end user requirements providing a solid value proposition.
- Collaborate with marketing and engineering to assure successful implementation of industrial designs.
- Understand and communicate a user journey or product value proposition through various media, storyboards, animations and videos
- Quickly identify and create appropriate design concepts with follow through to production.
- Create world class hardware designs in a fast paced environment.
- Follow up with manufacturing and production processes as required. Strong 2-D visualization skills are necessary such as sketching, Illustrator and Photoshop software.
Your Creative Tool Kit
This position requires exceptional interpersonal skills. A proven track record must be demonstrated. An ability to appreciate and work with human factors and research. Sensitivity to culture and end users should complement a strong core knowledge in design.
- Strong 2-D visualization skills are necessary such as sketching, Illustrator and Photoshop software.
- A solid expertise in at least one 3-D CAD program, such as Solid Works, Pro E and or Rhino or other similar tools is required.
- Proficiency in video and animation (Adobe After Effects or similar) for story telling of either user experience or product attributes.
***Must provide a link to a portfolio or digital examples of your work when applying***
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree or master's degree from an accredited industrial design program
- 3+ years of experience as an Industrial Designer or related position
Travel RequirementsUnder 10%
Referral Payment PlanYes
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.