Purpose of the Role:
As a member of the new product development team the Industrial Designer will bring a contagious passion and relentless enthusiasm for driving innovative holistic solutions that solve consumers everyday challenges. A passion for cooking and all things food is a huge plus as this role provides the opportunity to harness existing design abilities and experiences and apply them to deliver game changing housewares innovation.
This person must be comfortable with ambiguity, intellectually curious, and excel at working collaboratively with category managers, food trend innovation, experience team, engineering, and insights to provide comprehensive holistic consumer experiences. As a core member of the industrial design team the Industrial Designer will support execution of the innovation pipeline through holistic design and development initiatives for new products. The solutions will be mechanically robust, manufacturable and fully meet specified performance expectations.
This position requires a designer and innovative thinker with fundamental, practical hands on knowledge of manufacturing processes and their limitations. Experience with electrics a plus. The Industrial Designer is a key contributor in driving new design conceptualization and realization for products. In addition, the industrial designer is jointly responsible for delivering against business objectives which include shorter time to market, best margins and product solutions which significantly build and change the business.
- A strong bend toward developing holistic solutions founded on user insights that are exclusive, unique, engaging, and demonstrable.
- The ability to translate consumer insights, consultant needs, trends, business needs and other constraints into actionable detailed product design solutions that are evolutionary to revolutionary.
- Ability to think holistically and execute in a pragmatic way.
- Provide input and drive the up-front industrial design efforts, aesthetic direction, colors & finishes and functional solutions for all products within the designated product categories.
- Be the ‘design’ go-to person for the Product Development Team, and organize/lead/facilitate
design brainstorming sessions, contribute to discussions with suppliers, to ensure performance
specifications, timing, cost and overall quality expectations are met.
- Create prototypes for simple idea communication as well as fully functional test pieces to prove out new designs.
- Drive supplier communication and work through debug issues with new items to ensure delivery of design intent.
- Review new product test data and assist in establishing and implementing corrective actions to problems.
Education & Experience:
- BFA/BA/BD degree or equivalent in Industrial/Product Design or related skill required with a minimum 5 years product design and development experience (concept ID through 3D to tooling and launch).
- Proven portfolio of desirable product solutions with a high level of aesthetics delivering key functionality.
- Accountable for trend, colors, materials, and finishes application to products and product lines.
- High preforming cross functional collaborator.
- Demonstrated problem solver with successful track record in continuous improvement desired.
- Experience in working with domestic and overseas factories and suppliers of hard/soft goods is preferred.