Lead Data Designer at Morningstar
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But what sets us apart is how we take that data and research, and pair it with the latest technology and thoughtful design, to deliver insights with a purely independent view that address a wide range of needs for our customers. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for their clients. Our Culture
Morningstar’s Quantitative Research team aims to improve investor outcomes by providing innovative research using rigorous scientific methods. We are a creative group of analysts, software engineers, data scientists, and designers who collaborate with teams across the company to make vast amounts of data accessible and understandable to a wider audience. We are dedicated to increasing the transparency of financial information to all investors and recognize the importance of design when communicating complex ideas and providing an unbiased view into the data we analyze. Together with our design and technology colleagues, we are building a data visualization team focused on creating interactive visuals that promote early stage research and allow our data to tell its own story.
We are looking for a Lead Data Designer who can facilitate exploration and understanding of complex data through visualization and data storytelling. You’ll work alongside our analysts, data scientists, and software engineers to create beautiful visualizations that embrace the complexity in data to support well-informed decisions. You’ll develop data stories that engage, inform, and delight our clients. As a Lead Data Designer, your data visualizations will spark curiosity, enable the discovery of new insights, and extend the reach and understanding of complex data and methodologies.
You’ll be great at
· Collaborating with peers across teams to create and implement beautiful, interactive data visualizations that inspire action · Applying your expertise in data visualization and interaction design to generate visualizations that explore and reveal patterns in complex data sets
· Proposing new projects and experiments to drive innovative solutions and new ways of visualizing our intellectual property
· Developing data stories that engage and inform end users, clients and stakeholders
· Articulating design decisions to peers and stakeholders
· Effectively communicating conceptual ideas to a variety of audiences
· Contributing to and evolving Morningstar’s data visualization standards and design language
· Building solid working relationships with your excellent interpersonal skills
· Actively participating in data gathering, user research, and prototyping activities
· BA/BS degree in design, data science or equivalent practical experience
· Academic background in information design and data visualization
· Proficient with industry standard design tools (Illustrator, Sketch, Photoshop, Design Systems, HTML, CSS)
· Experience with D3.js is a plus
· Professional experience in one of the following areas: data science, data visualization engineering, data journalism
How to apply
Include a link to your online portfolio or attach pdf samples along with your resume.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity