Product Design Manager
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
Grubhub Design is looking for a talented Manager of Product Design to join our team. You will lead a team of world class designers with a passion for bringing hungry bellies together with local restaurants. You will be joining a growing team of design leaders that will not only shape our products, but our people and the way we design and build at Grubhub.
We believe design is a part of every product decision and has the ability to have true impact; for our customers & the business. Our design team is close-knit and highly collaborative – combining research, data and critique to inform design decisions that impact and shape products into highly usable and successful experiences.
As a Product Design Manager at Grubhub you will guide teams through complex problem spaces and ensure we’re solving the right problems with effective and elegant solutions. You’ll coach, mentor and encourage designers at Grubhub – helping the folks on the team to deliver their best work and have fun doing it.
You are super detail oriented, organized and know how to keep a team moving at pace. Your communication skills are strong and you are able to facilitate and mobilize cross-functional efforts. You have a passion for shipping great design work and your enthusiasm for the work you do gets others around you excited and motivated to deliver.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Lead a team of designers, setting clear goals, managing workload and allocating designers accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting team members up for overall success.
- Frame user-centered problems and business needs in a way that teams can respond to
- Advocate for the customer in high-level strategic decisions with business, product, engineering, and members of the Design team
- Guide teams in the practice of turning nebulous concepts to specific ideas into useful, delightful product features
- Draw insights from the work of our talented research team and know how to turn those insights into tangible solutions
- Partner with product, engineers, and the members of the Design and Research teams to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch
You Should Have
- At least 8 years of practical, in-house product or UX design experience for either consumer or B2B brands with a focus on complex flows and use cases
- Minimum 2 years industry experience in a people management role on a Design team
- A mature, evolutionary perspective on technology, product, and design practices
- Applied experience with service design practices and a practice of constantly evolving your design process
- An appetite (and the skill) for working across all digital and physical manifestations of what we design - from responsive web to native applications to the next technological leap
- Extensive understanding of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution
- A passion for mentoring executives, product managers, and engineers to deliver user-centered solutions
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy - for both the customer and your team’s goals
- Excellent communication and data visualization skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should design,” but “why are we designing this at all?”
***Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.***
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.