Product Designer at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 95,000 restaurants and over 16.4 million diners across 1,700 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
About You: You believe design is a verb, not a deliverable. That experience design is 80% thinking or collaborating and 20% putting pixels in place. You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product delivery teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful Product approach to the mantra of “move fast and ship it.”
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Advocate for our internal Grubhub users in all design decisions while collaborating with the product, engineering, and design teams.
- Turn everything from nebulous concepts to specific ideas into useful, delightful product features.
- Design holistic systems, flows and interfaces that are simple, elegant, and beautiful.
- Lead mid-level project work from a design perspective with autonomy and authority, facilitating design studios and working sessions to help the teams deliver the best possible solutions.
- Advocate for the customer in all decisions with the product, engineering, and design teams.
- Draw insights from the work of our talented research team and know how to turn those insights into tangible solutions.
- Partner with product, engineers, and the members of the design and research teams to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch.
You Should Have
- At least 3 years of practical, in-house product or UX design experience for either consumer or B2B brands with a focus on complex flows and use cases
- Applied experience with service design practices and a practice of constantly evolving your design process
- Applied experience working across all digital and physical manifestations of what we design - from responsive web to native applications to the next technological leap
- Extensive understanding of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution
- A passion for mentoring designers, product managers, and engineers to deliver a better, more user-centered product
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy - for both the customer and your team’s goals
- Excellent communication and data visualization skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should design,” but “why are we designing this at all?
***Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.***
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.