M1 is a young, rapidly growing company determined to reinvent personal finance. We believe the current tools used to invest, borrow, or spend your money fall short of what's possible with new technologies, and we're looking to change that. We're building the tools to empower people to make the most of their money through a free and intuitive automated financial platform. We already manage hundreds of millions of dollars and are signing up thousands of new customers each week, but we’re just getting started and have ambitious plans to take on an entrenched industry. Join us and help build the future of personal finance.
We're looking for an experienced product designer to collaborate with our team on the exploration, strategy, and design of features for our iOS, Android, and web applications. The right person will use their user-centered perspective to solve design problems holistically and systematically, while moving rapidly and attentively to deliver assets for implementation. As one of two designers, you'll be heavily involved in shaping our design practice in terms of research, prototyping, workflow, and implementation. Everybody who joins our team is given space to lead and demonstrate their own expertise, so we would ask that you also embody the same self-motivated and growth-minded entrepreneurial spirit. If you’re the kind of designer who enjoys improving design ops, designing for scale and complexity, and rethinking consumer financial digital experiences — then we’d love to talk to you.
- Work with a cross-functional team to design, iterate, and deliver new features on all platforms (iOS, Android, web)
- Identify opportunities for refinement or improvement in existing core features
- Balance user and business priorities when devising new flows and interface patterns
- Seek out and understand design parameters and constraints to optimize for the best solutions
- Set the tone for reviews by articulating design motivations and rationale
- Create design documentation, storyboards, wireframes, mock-ups, design assets, and other deliverables
- Engage with product engineers to ensure successful execution of design specifications
- Help manage and maintain our design system
- Help refine our design process from discovery to implementation
- Grow our budding user research practice
- Prior professional product and UX/UI design experience, preferably focused on mobile apps and within a product team
- Firm understanding of platform-specific constructs on iOS, Android, and web
- Familiarity with some standard industry tools (examples: Sketch, Figma, InVision, Zeplin, GitHub, Trello, etc.)
- Experience with building prototypes
- Understanding of designing with reusable components and patterns
- Experience with user research
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Structured, organized thinker that is both attentive to detail and mindful of the big picture
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible work hours and PTO
- Standard office perks (snacks, drinks, up-to-date hardware and software) that will allow you to do your best work
- Office in River North conveniently located near public transit
- Transparent and open communication about the business
Please provide a link to a digital portfolio and/or representative past projects which demonstrate your problem-solving and UX/UI design capabilities for mobile apps and web.
This is a full-time, on-site position at our Chicago, IL headquarters (no remote). Candidates must be authorized to work in the US. Sorry, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
M1 will not consider candidates submitted from third party recruiting firms.