Product Designer at Root Insurance
This job description may seem like it describes a specific person, but it’s really just a list of qualities that an ideal candidate could have. We believe diverse teams build better products, and we are looking for people who not only contribute hard skills, but also broad perspectives which challenge us to better serve our customers. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description below; if you identify with any portion and you’re passionate about building products which solve real problems, we encourage you to apply!
You are a thoughtful generalist.
You design from start to finish. This means working with your partners in product management to define problems, brainstorming solutions, iterating on wireframes, and having a keen eye for visual design. You might not code, but you’re comfortable working closely with engineering throughout development to ensure the final product looks as good in the hands of our users as it did on your screen.
You deeply empathize with customers.
You put every effort into understanding what our customers need. Your background gives you a strong gut about how to solve problems for users. What you don’t know, you learn through qualitative and quantitative research, analyzing previous test results, competitive analysis and whatever other tools are at your disposal.
You solve business problems.
You internalize business needs and ship product which solves those needs. You understand how to focus on a core hypothesis and don’t get distracted by features that detract from that goal.
You have strong opinions, weakly held.
You express your opinions passionately, but are equally open to changing those opinions in the face of new data. You are a respectful debater who challenges your colleagues to consider alternative viewpoints.
You bias toward action.
You think the best way to validate a hypothesis is to try it out, so you skip longwinded debates and get to building a solution. You recover quickly from mistakes by applying those learnings to your future work. You work your way to the future through shipping projects which build larger ideas.
Things you might do as a product designer at Root:
- Be actively involved with defining product strategy & roadmaps
- Process the results of A/B tests and user research
- Use your expertise in layout and typography to create beautiful interfaces
- Distill complex problems into easy to understand user flows and wireframes
- Learn everything there is to know about the insurance industry
- Work closely with your partners in engineering and product management
- Present your work to leadership as well as peers across the company
- Conduct research to vet ideas before building them
- Build interactive or motion prototypes
- Facilitate collaborative design with partners in and out of the product design team
- Design systems which make building a beautiful and consistent product even easier
Root was founded on the belief that insurance is a broken industry, and we set out to change it. By getting to the “root” of the issue—the unfair, archaic, complicated insurance business model—and solving it entirely, we set out to transform the insurance world.
We believe our customers deserve insurance that is:
Fair. We lean on data, not demographic labels.
Affordable. We base rates on good driver performance.
Personal. We give our customers the power to affect their rates.
Easy. We create an intuitive experience.
Accessible. We make information clear.
Beyond. We are never, ever satisfied with the status quo.