PRODUCT DESIGNER at Cat Digital
Caterpillar is looking for a Product Designer to grow our IOT and Customer Connectivity team! In this role, you will be an advocate and bring passion and empathy for helping some of the hardest working people on the planet, Cat customers and dealers. Through partnership with our business partners, as well as our product and engineering teams, you will shape digital experiences that both transform and simplify our customers’ and dealers’ day to day work and how they interact with the Cat brand, products, and services in the telematics, equipment management, and productivity space; our job is to help our users do their job better! This will be accomplished by first seeking to understand our customers’ needs and workflow and then translating those needs into compelling information architecture, interaction models, task flows, UI for multiple device platforms (responsive web, mobile, tablet, wearable devices, physical), and ultimately delightful experiences, consistently validating with direct customer feedback along the way.
- Partnering with user researchers, product managers, and business partners to design and validate new experiences through the development of user flows, sketching, mockups, wireframes, and prototypes.
- Transitioning experiences from early stage research and wireframes to elegant and simple web and mobile production ready visual designs for a global user base.
- Driving a culture of user research and validation by helping to coordinate frequent formal and informal usability studies, ethnographic research, jobsite interviews, customer panels, and prototype testing, which helps to both inform product design and build on our team’s knowledge base of user workflow, tasks, and unmet needs.
- Participate in frequent design reviews to both give and receive feedback from other designers and product owners to enhance our product quality and build a culture of trust, accountability, and collaboration.
- Closely align with engineering teams and business analysts on implementation and QA of design work.
- Building, expanding, and maintaining a symbols/component library for use across a design team.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university related to user interface/graphic design, a closely related technical degree, or equivalent experience
- Requires proficiency with leading design software such as Sketch, Figma, or Adobe XD
- 3+ years experience in UI design for web and mobile with a portfolio demonstrating the items below (please be prepared to hand over and talk through a portfolio during the hiring process):
- Design project requirements + customer pain points to resolve.
- Challenges encountered in the design process and how you overcame them
- Results and success stories of how your design deliverables benefited your clients or end users
- Experience designing cross-platform experiences (web, iOS, Android)
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction for a global user base and an eye for detail working toward pixel perfect design
- Familiar with utilizing symbols libraries and reusable components to build consistent designs across multiple platforms. Special consideration given to those with experience building and managing libraries in Sketch or Figma, as well as background with Google Material Design
- Be comfortable working across all stages of design covering research, requirement refining, workflow creation, wireframing, prototyping, user testing and validation, strong design documentation, and consistent support while launching into production across multiple projects at a time
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to teams and clients in serving as the number one advocate for the end user