SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Senior Learning Experience (LX) Designer is responsible for planning, creating, and maintaining digital learning solutions to support the learning and development of employees and the educational needs of the business. The Senior Designer supports the organization’s learning and development strategy, provides mentorship to the LX team and guides their work.
Needs Analysis & Research
- Collaborates with stakeholders to understand needs and expectations and uncover organizational and performance goals.
- Be an active listener who also knows how to ask insightful questions to unlock a greater understanding of business and learning needs.
- Applies a systematic process to gather, identify, and analyze root causes of learning and performance gaps.
- Makes informed, learning science backed, recommendations for performance improvement solutions to address root causes in partnership with manager or Senior LXD.
- Works with subject matter experts and other resources to transform knowledge into learning solutions.
- Consults with stakeholders to gain commitment for implementing solutions.
- Comfortably use quantitative and qualitative needs analysis techniques to help prioritize our learning efforts.
- Assesses and evaluates emerging learning technologies for adoption and integration.
- Confidently lead business and user research to identify pain points and opportunities to drive behavior change and performance improvement.
Design, Development & Evaluation
- Serves as leader in design, development and testing, of new and existing learning initiatives; innovates enhancements to existing learning modules which may include applications over multiple software and platforms.
- Responsible for large-scale curriculum design and course mapping.
- Serves as Team Lead on collaborative projects.
- Creates and manages a detailed project plan to ensure quality standards and timelines for deliverables are met.
- Utilizes needs analysis to address learning and performance gaps.
- Properly scope and define outcome-driven learning objectives.
- Identifies and selects the appropriate approaches and technologies that follow sound principles of learning theory and align to the specific learning/performance support opportunity.
- Designs logical learning assets that create an effective, efficient and engaging experience for the learner and maximize performance improvement outcomes that yield measurable organizational results.
- Designs and develops instructional materials including job aids, e-learning content, videos, PowerPoint presentations and more with minimal supervision required.
- Write concise and customer-friendly instruction for a variety of learning modalities (e.g., online courses, documentation, resources, in-app messages)
- Conducts reviews of materials with appropriate parties, such as subject matter experts, the design team, and the target audience.
- Proactively collects and incorporates feedback from leaders and stakeholders.
- Builds into the design of learning solutions a variety of both formative and summative evaluation strategies to determine learning mastery and impact.
- Effectively organize content and deliverables in a logical and intuitive manner.
- Regularly QA test and debug learning content.
- Able to prioritize work based on business needs and pivot when organizational needs require it.
- Experiment and use diverse technologies to create interactive, responsive, and user-friendly online courses.
- Continuously evaluates, reports on, and improves existing learning/performance support solutions.
Mentoring and Team Leadership
- Under the guidance of the LXD Manager, provide leadership to LX training team in terms of identifying resourcing, coaching and work planning
- Under the guidance of the LXD Manager, provide guidance and constructive feedback to LX team
- Ensure a collaborative relationship between LX designers and Departments to ensure the design and timing meet requirements
- Challenge and support the LX team
- Effective and clear communication with LX team
- Foster a positive team environment
• Customer Service – Proficient
• Verbal Communication - Proficient
• Written Communication - Expert
• Teamwork - Proficient
• Relationships - Proficient
• Negotiation - Proficient
• Organizational Awareness - Proficient
• Learning Agility - Advanced
• Analysis - Proficient
• Problem Solving - Advanced
• Process Orientation - Proficient
• Prioritization - Proficient
Role Specific Skills:
• Advanced knowledge of instructional design principles, training techniques, and adult learning theories.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite
• Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite
• Advanced to advanced skills in audio and video production and editing
• Advanced skills in e-learning development software (e.g., Articulate Storyline, Adobe
• Advanced experience with Learning Management Systems (e.g., Saba, Cornerstone, Skillsoft).
(Education, experience, and any other certifications or clearances)
- Master’s Degree in Education, Instructional Design, Human Resources, or related field, or equivalent experience or advanced certification such as CPLP, ATD Master Instructional Designer, Langevin
- Bachelor’s degree with major coursework and/or equivalence in instructional design, instructional technology, education technology, adult education, communications, or closely related field.
- 5-7 years of experience conducting needs analysis and designing and evaluating learning programs.
- 5-7 years of hands-on development experience across multiple learning modalities (online, virtual, classroom, blended and social) using authoring tools such as: Captivate, Articulate; web conferencing applications such as Adobe Connect, Zoom, GoToMeeting; and collaboration platforms such as Yammer, SharePoint, Ning or Google.
- Experience with LMS functionality.
Other Relevant Qualifications
• 2+ years of experience in call center, contact center, customer service, or related field