Senior Manager, Product Design (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Senior Manager of Product Design to join their Product-led Growth team
Why join Sprout’s Product Design team?
Design is in our DNA at Sprout, from our best-in-class products and award-winning user experience, to our elegant customer journey and the systems that power our teams. We’ve built a Product Design program centered on the pursuit of growing leaders and tailoring growth paths to individuals—recognizing that every designer is at their best when they’re challenged to grow in ways that map to their unique strengths. Supported and challenged by a diverse and connected design community, and armed with an expansive human-centered toolkit, our talented creative problem solvers demonstrate the true power of design to drive business impact, and lead their teams to see social differently.
What you’ll do
- In lockstep with your cross-disciplinary partners, you’ll study our users and market, identify opportunities for experimentation across the customer journey, help shape strategic approach, analyze results, foster shared learning, and spark optimizations along the way.
- In collaboration with your Design Leadership peers, you’ll shape our growth practice, product design community and program, and help ensure that Sprout continues to be an exemplary place to grow both craft and business acumen.
- You’ll sharpen the skills of your direct reports and champion their voices, foster the culture of your small team, ensure deep understanding of the customers and business, support informed decision making, improve rituals, and bolster critiques.
- You’ll own the experience for critical jobs-to-be-done, phases of product adoption, and key areas of our software. From project kickoff to release, you’ll have your hand in the direction of what we make, how we make it, how we measure it, and how we tell its story.
- You’ll leverage, steward, and contribute to our design systems; uphold our standards of inclusive craft and culture; and model the same empathy, curiosity, and resilience that you work to foster in your people.
What you’ll bring
As a Senior Manager, Product Design, you’ll bring a passion for both nurturing growth in others and demonstrating quality craft through your designs. You’ll be ready to play the role of ‘player-coach,’ continuing to flex your honed set of individual contributor skills, while also expanding your people leadership toolkit. You’ll bring a dedication to delivering true customer value, and a sense of responsibility to design software that balances power and simplicity as it scales. You’ll come with excitement to join a collaborative environment, surrounded by smart, ambitious and caring teammates that want to build great things, together. You’ll show-up eager to add your voice to our Product Design community while also carving out space for the voices of others. And you’ll generously contribute to a healthy, authentic, creative culture, because you understand that that’s where strong design starts.
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 3+ years of design leadership experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership, managing people and shaping design culture
- 5+ years of experience designing and shipping products and features from inception to launch in a fast paced environment
- Experience partnering across product and engineering to facilitate the successful delivery of quality product experiences
- Examples of structuring projects, processes, tools or initiatives to set teams up for success
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Sharp communication skills, with the ability to tell compelling stories, give and receive feedback gracefully, and facilitate working sessions
- A portfolio that showcases not only what you’ve shipped, but the impact it had
- Experience working on SaaS applications
- Experience working on Growth teams or related domains
- Capable of leading research initiatives
- Practice exercising divergent and convergent thinking, with the ability to both vision and execute
- A self-starter, with a commitment to pushing yourself and others to always be growing
We can’t wait to hear your story, to tell you our own, and to shape each others’ as we continue to grow!
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to people leadership and product building.
- Meet all of the designers on our team, get a lowdown on our design system, tools and file structures, and learn how Product Design partners with other departments and disciplines.
- Spend 1:1s with your direct reports to understand their goals, strengths, and opportunities so that you can lay foundations for supporting their career progression.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Get to know your counterparts within our product organization and form important bonds with Product, Engineering, and Marketing leaders. Start joining team rituals, connecting with your peers, swapping ideas and sharing perspectives.
- Take advantage of Sprout’s ‘Focus Days’— Wednesdays dedicated to no meetings so everyone can focus on the work that we’ve committed to.
- Learn how Sprout has done things to date, and think about how we might make our culture and processes even better going forward
- Learn the voice, thinking, and habits of our users while developing a solid foundation of knowledge on our product.
- Collaborate with your team and begin designing real world work!
- Start to design your own days, weeks, and working style to carve out space for focus, rest, and execution– so that you can establish healthy, balanced productivity.
- Share your personal tactics, processes, and favorite things about being a maker while geeking out with teammates within the broader Design organization at Sprout.
- Help your team think through complex problems and offer high-level guidance on each stage of their work.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Ship a range of work into the world, analyze results, and get real user feedback so that we can continue to make our product even better.
- Further your influence on our design and product strategy as you learn more about our customers and industry.
- Weigh in on resourcing, helping align design skill sets to business needs.
- Develop a career plan alongside each of your direct reports and continue conversations with your manager on your own growth path
- Expand the breadth and depth of your design and people leadership toolkits, and your exposure to new challenges, ideas and perspectives.
- Run collaborative workshops to bring together partners around the company to help define and design great user experiences.
- Influence a strong culture of design critique and collaboration, ensuring our designers and our work are held to a high-quality standard.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Lead the performance review and career band calibration process for your people
- Become an integral voice in driving future strategy for your product team
- Present your research, insights and design explorations with leaders across Design, Engineering and Product Management and executives.
- Continue to sharpen your craft methods and skills, level-up your strategic business acumen, and shape a unique career path to fit your evolving strengths and passions.
- Further develop as a people leader, learning from some of the best industry voices and developing alongside other managers across the business
- Support recruiting and hiring new talent
- Explore involvement in communities in and outside of Sprout, consider opportunities to add your voice and talent to our Community Resource Groups, and ways to live out our company values in the public and civic spaces that matter most to you.
- Having learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t on our team and in our product, you’ll help us think through how we make Sprout even better for the next year ahead!
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Note: When applying, please include a link to samples of your work. This could be a portfolio website, a zip file of artifacts, or a case study of a specific project that showcases your people leadership skills.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is $155,000.00 to $210,000.00 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements. In addition to base pay, some Sales and Success roles can earn sales incentives.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members' growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee's total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our latest DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.