Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Upwork is looking for an excellent Senior Product Designer with a focus on Design Systems to join our growing best-in-class design team. We’re looking for a thoughtful and expert designer to help develop the next-generation of our product and visual design language by crafting alluring and inspiring UI experiences. You should have experience working in collaborative-creative environments as well as working with UX designers, front end developers and product managers.
**Open to remote candidates in the following states only - AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, OR, TN, PA **
- Work closely with other designers and front end developers to balance product needs and trade-offs to resolve what is right to build into our Design System.
- Iterating at the building block level (using elements such as typography, icons, and components) with the ability to compose a thoughtful product experience by following established design patterns and principles.
- Promote product wide, systems-level thinking by using reusable, flexible frameworks and holistic design approaches.
- Standardize UI Accessibility guidelines (A11y and WCAG) as an imperative, with awareness, accountability and tracking for the rest of our product organization.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- At least 5+ yrs of experience as a practicing UX/UI product designer with strong Design Systems knowledge.
- A deep understanding of visual design principles as they apply to user-interface design, including the use of color, visual contrast, hierarchy, type, page layout, etc.
- Expertise for crafting UI that bridges function, transparency, accessibility and performance.
- Experience at crafting interfaces across multiple channels and operating systems including desktop and mobile. (Strong emphasis on ‘mobile first’ and responsive design)
- Experience working in tools such as Sketch, Illustrator, InVision and JIRA.
- Basic understanding of web technologies such as HTML and CSS.
- Values and respects all opinions on design irrelevant of discipline or experience.
- A passionate advocate for crafting high-quality designs that deliver memorable experiences that users will love.
How to really knock our socks off:
- You have a strong knowledge of native app. Design (iOS and Android platforms)
- Advanced interactive prototyping/ motion design and animation skills using Sketch, Lottie, Principle, Framer or After Effects.
- Proven presentation skills including a beautiful design portfolio.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills
- You thrive working in collaborative work environments and are able to work creatively with remote team members.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.