As a Senior Product Designer on the Partnerships team, you’ll collaborate with product managers, engineers, data scientists and the business team to craft and deliver product and marketing experiences in our partnership channels. You’ll seek ways to help potential customers discover, understand and convert to Root, while identifying opportunities for how Root might collaborate with other organizations to bring value to our business.
You deeply empathize with customers.
You put every effort into understanding what our customers – and their customers – need. Your experience and intuition give you a strong signal to head towards. What you don’t know, you learn through qualitative and quantitative research, analyzing previous test results, competitive analysis and whatever other tools are at your disposal.
You are a thoughtful generalist.
You design from start to finish. This means working with your partners in product management to define problems, understand and iterate on possible solutions, create prototypes and wireframes with a keen eye for visual design. You’re comfortable working closely with engineering throughout development to ensure the final product works as you intended and looks as good in the hands of the people using it as it did on your screen.
You solve business problems.
You internalize business objectives and ship products and experiences that reach them. You understand how to focus on a core hypothesis and don’t get distracted by features that detract from that goal.
You have strong opinions, weakly held.
You express your opinions passionately but are open to changing those opinions in the face of new data. You challenge your colleagues to consider alternative viewpoints and advocate for the customer every step of the way. You focus on finding a shared vision and strategic alignment with your partners and strive for continual progress.
What you'll be doing.
- Be actively involved with defining product and marketing strategy & roadmaps
- Apply human-centered design methodologies and marketing tactics while working collaboratively with customers and your partners in marketing, engineering, business development, and product management
- Facilitate good working relationships with stakeholders at our partner companies and understand their unique business objectives and customer needs
- Identify when and how to conduct user research studies. Facilitate research, synthesize the results, and put the insights into action
- Distill complex problems into easy to understand user flows and wireframes. Build interactive or motion prototypes to communicate experience
- Socialize your work to leadership and peers across the company, as well as stakeholders at our partner companies
- Facilitate collaborative design with partners in and out of the Design team
- Demonstrate leadership to the wider Design team. Mentor, inspire, give feedback and model best practices and behaviors to others on the team.
- Learn everything there is to know about insurance, telematics, and our partners’ businesses
What we're looking for.
- You have 5+ years of experience in interaction design, product design or related field
- A customer champion and practitioner of human-centered design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development.
- Experience developing marketing strategies to attract new customers.
- A self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, and can balance switching between strategy-level and pixel-level work
- You can switch between the macro: big picture thinking of business and customer needs , and the micro: the specific moments of an experience and how it impacts what people do and feel.
- Ability to collaborate with partners in marketing, product management, and engineering through the whole product lifecycle
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- High attention to detail; comfortable independently multitasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment.
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.