Senior Product Designer, Purchasing Experience at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
People’s relationship with their money is deeply personal and complex. Every day, they make decisions based on their means, whether it’s to make a purchase or invest in their future. We use design to rethink what personal finance can do for these individuals. We build experiences that give them freedom, security, knowledge, and a better quality of life.
Design serves a vital role at Affirm: from building narratives through data to creating products that help people make important financial decisions. As designers you are responsible for crafting experiences that solve problems people struggle with every day. We hold design to a higher standard than most. It’s more than a tactic to build great products. It’s a helping hand, a new opportunity, a vision for the future. For us, design reshapes that relationship people have with their money and allows us to engage with them on an emotional level.
Checkout is the backbone of our business, for over the billions of credit we provide access for and the millions of active affirm users looking to have more control over their purchasing, it all comes through the purchasing experience.
Our mission is clear (not simple, and we like it that way!): Empower our users to pay however and wherever they choose by offering a suite of honest financial products that unlock greater purchasing power and payment flexibility over time.
What you'll do
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Analytics, and Engineering partners to represent the design team, facilitate design discussions, and give feedback in planning and product channels.
- Think holistically about complex systems, empathize with customers, and understand business objectives to create compelling and effective user experiences
- Determine the information architecture and flows for your product features.
- Build high-fidelity visuals and specifications for your final solutions.
- Partner with User Research to help synthesize and communicate research findings to inform business decisions and build even greater understanding of and empathy for our customers.
- Solicit feedback early and often from your peers, including other product designers and teammates in your product team. Participate in weekly design critiques with larger team.
- Mentor and support other designers
- Help maintain our design system, and advocate for scalable design solutions.
What we look for
- B.A/B.S. in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, or a related field/equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in an individual contributor role, on a Product Design team.
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a depth of knowledge in user experience, interaction, and visual/user interface design.
- Experience in working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Experience in validating design decisions through user/usability research.
- Process-oriented but agile: the ability to quickly translate requirements into designs that are both functional and beautiful
- Experience leading small teams as an IC lead
- Designing in financial technology, payments, and/or Ecommerce experiences
- Building and growing design systems