Root is looking for a Senior level Product Designer to be on our new Service Design team. This person will be focused on helping define the Service Design team's charter and strategy early on, then delivering solutions on the defined problem areas long term. They’ll work closely with product managers, engineers, data scientists, researchers and the business team. They’ll help define Root's servicing approach across channels in order to deliver a cohesive, intentional experience strategy that solves problems for our customers and helps us operate more efficiently as a business. They’ll seek ways to solve customer problems and help Root to grow as a business.
The Service Design team will nest under our Retention team, which focuses on how to best retain and serve our customers over time. This could include working with Customer Service to improve our interactions with customers, identifying & addressing pain points in the customer's journey, and cross collaborating with other product areas to improve our overall experience.
You deeply empathize with customers.
You put every effort into understanding what our customers – and their customers – need. Your experience and intuition give you a strong signal to head towards. What you don’t know, you learn through qualitative and quantitative research, analyzing previous test results, competitive analysis and whatever other tools are at your disposal.
You are a thoughtful generalist.
You design from start to finish. This means working with your partners in product management to define problems, understand and iterate on possible solutions, create prototypes and wireframes with a keen eye for visual design. You’re comfortable working closely with engineering throughout development to ensure the final product works as you intended and looks as good in the hands of the people using it as it did on your screen.
You solve business problems.
You internalize business objectives and ship products and experiences that reach them. You understand how to focus on a core hypothesis and don’t get distracted by features that detract from that goal.
You have strong opinions, weakly held.
You express your opinions passionately but are open to changing those opinions in the face of new data. You challenge your colleagues to consider alternative viewpoints and advocate for the customer every step of the way. You focus on finding a shared vision and strategic alignment with your partners and strive for continual progress.What you'll be doing.
What we're looking for.
- Be actively involved with defining product strategy & roadmaps
- Apply human-centered design methodologies and design cohesive experiences across several products within a product platform
- Work cross-functionally with engineering, product, marketing, sales and leadership to shape product
- Identify when and how to conduct user research studies and put the insights into action
- Distill complex problems into easy to understand user flows and wireframes
- Design user interfaces that are easy to understand and beautifully crafted
- Build interactive or motion prototypes to communicate experience
- Learn everything there is to know about insurance and telematics
- Facilitate collaborative design with partners in and out of the product design team
- Present your work to leadership as well as peers across the company
- You have 5+ years of experience in service design, product design or a related field
- You’re a customer champion and practitioner of human-centered and service design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, and can balance switching between strategy-level and pixel-level work
- You're an excellent listener and communicator, with the ability to negotiate and collaborate with partners on work
- You are comfortable designing products from MVP to ideal state with experience developing experiment driven work
- You have high attention to detail; are comfortable independently multitasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment
- You have the ability to collaborate with partners in product management and engineering through the whole product lifecycle