Senior UI Designer - Internal Tools at Grainger (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Grainger is a leading broad line distributor with operations primarily in North America, Japan and the United Kingdom. We achieve our purpose, We Keep the World Working®, by serving more than 4.5 million customers with a wide range of products that keep their operations running and their people safe. Grainger also delivers services and solutions, such as technical support and inventory management, to save customers time and money.
We're looking for passionate people who can move our company forward. As one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, we have a welcoming workplace where you can build a career for yourself while fulfilling our purpose to keep the world working. We embrace new ways of thinking and recognize everyone is an individual. Find your way with Grainger today.
The Senior User Interface Designer role will focus directly on evolving Grainger's internal tools - a suite of custom enterprise tools that allow our employees to drive exceptional customer experiences. Our internal tools feed 1.5 million products to Grainger's digital and future publications. You will partner with UX designers, developers, and product managers to deliver high-fidelity visual design compositions that follow our evolving internal design system standards and ensure coded output is executed to pixel perfection.
This is a unique opportunity to employ software and service design within a top-rated, well-established industrial supplier. You will report to the Senior Manager, UI Design for internal tools. We will consider virtual candidates for this role, if outside of the Chicago area.
- Build all visual design stages from concept to production deployment.
- Execute Grainger's design system, style guides and pattern libraries for all of Grainger's internal tools.
- Collaborate with product and engineering to develop solutions for product direction, and execution of the visual design language
- Enhance existing designs based on user feedback and web analytics
- Present design work to the user experience team, product team, and senior leadership for review, discussion, and feedback
- Enhance the team's knowledge of best design practices and trends in digital and brand design
- Help communicate style guide concepts and guidelines to the team
- Partner with front-end development teams to ensure that common components are implemented as intended
- Understand technical and business constraints and scale designs for iterative release, ensuring user needs are met in each iteration
- Evaluate current experiences and provide recommendations for improvement
- Communicate design decisions, rationale, and direction when presenting work
- Develop detailed documentation for design standards
- 3+ years of experience in User Interface design, User Experience design, web design, web development; corporate B2B experience preferred
- Proficiency in Sketch, Figma, UX and component libraries
- An understanding of design, usability, and research best practices
- Experience contributing to a pattern library or design system
- Experience implementing W3C accessibility design standards
- Experience designing for complex business processes
- Fundamental knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Facilitation skills
- Work samples that show how you broke down complexity, empathized with the user, and balanced user needs, business needs, and technical considerations
- Degree in Human Centered Design, Design Methods, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or related field
Rewards and Benefits:
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members' individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Paid time off (PTO) and 6 company holidays per year
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical and social wellbeing programs
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.