Senior UI Designer - Invest at M1 (Chicago, IL or Remote)
M1 is a personal finance platform made for the modern era, uniting individual perspective with automated ease. Hundreds of thousands of investors take control of their long-term wealth with M1 and have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets. As the Finance Super App™, we empower financial well-being with all the tools to invest, borrow, and spend: low-cost borrowing, high interest checking, and high cash back Visa® debit and credit card rewards.
We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being and strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors. We've been named a top app for investors including 2022 Best for Low Costs and Best for Sophisticated Investors by Investopedia.
As a fast-growing fintech company, we're looking for talented and smart individuals who are excited about rethinking what's possible with personal finance, invested in their personal and professional growth, and take ownership of the work they want to do - all while helping others create something meaningful and sustainable for their futures. Our award-winning workplace culture has been recognized by CB Insights (Top Fintech Companies of 2021), the Chicago Tribune (2021 Top Workplace), and Built In Chicago (2022 Best Places to Work in Chicago).
We mean it when we say, "M1 is yours to build."
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we're looking for
You're a versatile designer with experience in product, interaction and visual design, and your ultimate superpower and passion is beautiful UI design. You'll thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment where you can have ownership over the design direction of our Invest product, and you're excited to join a rapidly growing team and have serious impact. We're hiring for our headquarters in Chicago, our office in Salt Lake City, and remotely across the US.
What you'll do
- Partner with a Product Designer on M1's Invest product to help ideate on solutions, and turn detailed workflows and interactions into beautiful interfaces that our clients will love.
- Partner with your product engineering peers to implement your UI designs and ensure they're scalable and usable.
- Confidently speak to your work, articulating a clear rationale for decisions that led to your solutions.
- Collaborate with our Design System team to create, maintain and evolve an accessible design system of foundational elements and UI elements.
- Collaborate with your product design peers to ensure a consistent and holistic end-to-end experience.
- 5+ years designing exceptional digital products with a portfolio that showcases your abilities in UI and visual design.
- Mastery of typography, color, layout, iconography and illustration. Motion design experience a plus.
- An obsession for deeply understanding user needs, and the ability to translate those needs into intuitive solutions.
- A track record of closely collaborating with Product Management and Engineering to ship multiple products that have made a measurable impact.
- An expert-level understanding of responsive web design, iOS and Android platforms, UI component libraries, living design systems and modern browser technologies.
- You're known for taking bold, calculated risks, and learning from your mistakes.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
- Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1) , M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you - we'd love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym