Senior UX Designer
Morningstar brings inspired problem-solvers together with one goal in mind—to empower investor success. At our core, we’re one of the world’s top investment research and data companies. But where we set ourselves apart is how we use that data and research to serve a diverse range of users. Our investment data and research enable us to deliver analytics and insights with a purely independent view, and then we leverage the latest in technology and design to deliver an array of solutions that best meet our users’ needs. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world—ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for millions of people all over the world.
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtfully-designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. We synthesize complex financial information into experiences that help deliver better investing outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. The design organization is made up of several disciplines—visual, UX, communications, content, and research—united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We’re always seeking designers who are motivated, driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, with an equal commitment to craft and compassion.
We’re looking for a Senior UX Designer to join our energetic group building software that helps employees retire better. In this role, you’ll work with an interdisciplinary team to conduct research, strategy development, concepting, product definition, and design. You will provide insight into business and product challenges, provide direction in how these considerations are best balanced with user needs, and help shape the future of the product roadmap.
In this role, you’ll:
- Create and present UX concepts and behaviors using methods appropriate to the context (e.g. paper sketches, whiteboarding, wireframes, task/workflows, prototypes, etc.).
- Participate in user-centered research with customers through focus groups, usage analysis, rapid prototyping and facilitate co-creation activities.
- Communicate cross channel user experience solutions to stakeholders in product development, marketing, clients, and research through prototypes, detailed specifications, and similar types of communication documents.
- Be an obsessive advocate for user-centered research and for a ‘design thinking’ approach to creative problem solving
- Use data and experimentation in the design process to deliver on intended outcomes
- Thrive in an agile work environment, including the ability to embrace iterative product development while maintaining a cohesive and holistic view of the overall design experience
- Be curious about new technology and pushing experiences to be current and modern
- Be able to write and present effectively; you’ll need to guide and persuade many opinions
We’re looking for someone who’s:
- Launched, run, or scaled a service offering in either the B2B or B2C space.
- Approaches work systemically and are able to zoom out to see the big picture, then dive in to nail the important details.
- Passionate about design research, information architecture, and user and product experience.
- Committed to user outcomes, business impact, and measuring both.
- Eager to master complex information, and able to simplify it so that everyone can understand it.
- Able to build meaningful relationships across multidisciplinary teams to cultivate empathy, while also moving a team forward.
- Deeply collaborative and can bring teams together to solve problems. Able to adapt their leadership style based on what the team needs, and is ready to take the initiative to get things done and ask thoughtful questions.
- A curious self-starter who isn't afraid of ambiguity and is eager to find problems and solve them.
- Open to feedback and knows how and when to defend design choices.
- Continuously strive for better ways of communicating, coaching, and learning.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment.
- Able to bring energy to a team and keep things positive.
Experience we’d like to see:
- 5-7 years of experience designing for digital products and interactions, large scale websites, or applications.
- Demonstrated experience as a leader on a multidisciplinary product team.
- Confidence in advocating for and sharing user-centered design principles.
- Superb communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade partners and diplomatically resolve conflict.
- Excellent organization and attention to detail.
- Proactive, hands-on person who loves a challenge.
Please include a portfolio of work that you’re most proud of, so you can tell stories about your experience and the impact you've had. We're interested in the designs you’ve created, and want to understand how you work with a team to solve problems.
This position is based in our Chicago office.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity