Senior Visual Designer, Design Systems at Root
We are rewriting the rules of insurance and we’re looking for a designer who is up for the challenge to help define and document our ever-evolving brand language.
We are searching for a proven Systems Designer who can own maintaining the systematic integrity of Root’s “One Brand” initiative. The Root brand design system includes: brand guidelines, a UI component library, and other design system documentation as necessary.
Senior Visual Designer, Design Systems will work to ensure UI styles are on-brand, cohesive, and appropriate for the sites and products they’re intended for. This role will join the brand team in Creative Marketing, and reports to the Creative Director.
Root’s creative marketing team is on a mission to disrupt the archaic, trillion-dollar insurance industry. We’re creating powerful insurance products and technology platforms that rewrite the rules for today’s world, promoting fairness, simplicity, and personalization. And we’re just getting started. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group guided by a highly iterative, user-centered design process. With insights gained through testing, data, and thoughtful critique, we’re driving the strategy that grows our business and will change the insurance industry. You’ll primarily be working with designers, marketing partners, and product managers—but may also collaborate cross-functionally with engineers, customer service specialists, attorneys, and program managers (to name a few).
- You think strategically about how companies build brands cohesively, and flexibly, according to different user needs.
- You communicate a strong point of view, and also listen actively—knowing how to disagree, and decide.
- You embrace consistency, leaning on logic, research, testing, and collaboration to determine where discrepancies in the system are justified and meaningful.
- You mind the details with conscious examination of differences between audiences, geographies, and media channels.
- You approach design with both form and function in mind, presenting complex ideas with clarity in both aesthetic and systematic choices.
- You are transparent, and a proactive learner. You seek feedback, and ask questions in the face of ambiguity.
- You recognize the distinction between a personal design preference, and a systematic design decision that serves a broader goal.
- You enjoy building processes, resources, guidelines, and templates that can empower an organization to create beautiful and thoughtful brand and consumer executions.
What we're looking for
Please provide a PDF of relevant work samples or web link to a portfolio. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This is a full-time position. Due to COVID-19, our teams are currently collaborating remotely, so bring your sweatpants. A laptop and appropriate software can be provided.
Root believes diverse teams build better products, and we are looking for people who not only contribute hard skills but also broad perspectives that challenge us to better serve our customers.
- Skilled collaborator 4-6 years as a Systems Designer for digital products, mobile and web
- A diverse portfolio including interaction and systems design work and/or guidelines documentation
- Experience helping Front-end Engineers and Designers adopt design systems
- Well-versed in emerging patterns, Atomic Design, design system case studies, and accessibility best practices
- Experience at designing interfaces across multiple channels and operating systems, including desktop and mobile.
- Experience working in tools such as Figma, Illustrator, InVision and JIRA
- A deep understanding of visual design principles as they apply to user-interface design, especially in scalable component libraries
- Basic understanding of web technologies such as HTML and CSS
- Experience working with foundational design systems that are built to evolve, working flexibly across marketing and product platforms as a business scales
- Can speak to the way systems design affect a wide range of media and channels, including: web design, advertising, social media, print, events, and 3D experiences
- Keen eye for detail with ability to see the big picture
- Ability to home in on the intersection of brand and product design
- Strong design sensibilities with a comprehensive grasp of design fundamentals and the ability to translate those into usage guidelines
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.