Specialist Transportation Design Management at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles
Manage and optimize PDL's Transportation operation assets to continuously increase service levels, drive vendor effectiveness, implement initiatives/projects and ensure efficient operations within the business scaling to $1.25 billion. This position supports the Director of Transportation effectively deploying transportation resources and continuously optimizing operating cost and customer service levels.
Recipe for Success - What's "in store" for the role
- Lead the central management of PDL's fleet with a detailed depository of PDLs trucks including specifications, truck counts, types, engineering designs, etc. supporting 30+ PDL facilities
- Support the Sr. Director of Transportation on regular truck purchases totaling 8-12MM annually including truck forecasting and asset utilization analysis
- Lead projects driving transportation efficiency and service quality working with Sr. Managers of Transportation in field operations and Director of Transportation
- Lead the truck quote gathering process, lease/buy analysis preparation, truck manufacturing schedule for the fleet scaling to over $1.25 billion in annual sales. Work closely with AUSA Treasury and NFR work with Sr. Director of Transportation
- Lead development and implementation of improvements to the delivery process to drive service levels and optimize cost working with Director of Transportation
- Maintain full knowledge of PDLs transportation planning technology including all 3rd party applications. PDL's mobile field technology as the primary driver ambassador tool for delivery tracking and history
- For PDL truck fleet, provide total cost of ownership direction on annual truck decisions, including truck type recommendations, re-marketing and maintenance implications
- Lead ad hoc transportation analyses to improve PDL's transportation KPI's and support field operations.
- Analyses include items such as efficiency insight, resource procurement decisions, truck turn analysis, cart needs, etc.
- Perform regular driver ride-alongs to maintain intimate knowledge of the last mile delivery challenges faced by PDL, seeking improvement opportunities
- Lead annual RFPs for 3rd party carrier services of dedicated cross-dock traffic. Manage on-time performanc and outside services cost/order
- Lead RFP process working closely with AUSA transportation group leveraging both existing tools and carrier recommendations on 3rd party carriers
- Lead PDL purchasing and NFR to optimize cost on truck maintenance, truck bodies, chassis and any related transportation item
- Perform regular vendor audits on contract status, costs and service levels making recommendations on improvements to Manager of Transportation
- Manage truck leasing vendor relationship along with leveraging all existing 3rd party ancillary services
- Lead service and cost optimization on inbound carriers into PDL facilities working with Sr. Director of Transportation and Director of Central Replenishment
- Develop carrier scorecard for overall performance of 3rd party carriers
- Point person for all 3rd party carrier execution and troubleshooting 24/7/365 with 6 cross-docks and 25 PDL facilities. Supports 3rd party traffic handling of thousands of weekly PDL orders
- For project-based initiatives or new building design, engineer new logistics components including chassis selection, box type, fuel type, cart designs, etc.
- Alongside Sr. Director Transportation, primary leads on all new distribution center engineering development supporting fleet of over 700 trucks
- Maintain strong knowledge of Transportation process documentation working with Manager Transportation Training, Safety and Audit. Ensure that transportation assets are optimally designed to enable driver efficiency
- Work closely with Manager of Transportation Training gaining input on truck decisions pertaining to both chassis and cargo box design including height and other factors to mitigate damage exposure for the fleet
- Working with field operations ensure all trucks are DOT compliant as well as fitted with the appropriate safety components to protect our driver ambassadors
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- 7+ Years in Transportation Management and Supply Chain Experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Ability to drive change at micro-level to make large enterprise impact
- Knowledgeable user of Transportation systems
- Advanced Microsoft applications skills including Excel and Visio
- Engineering CAD experience
- Medium Duty truck and box design/capability knowledge
- Thorough knowledge of Transportation Planning
- 25% Travel
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- High level of attention to detail in process and engineering design
- High level of independence and self starting capability
- Ability to build relationships across business units
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.