SR MANAGER DIGITAL USER EXPERIENCE (UX) at Ulta Beauty
Ulta Beauty is the largest specialty beauty retailer in the United States and the place for the true beauty enthusiast who gets butterflies as she shops for beauty and experiments throughout our store. We are the only one to provide our guests prestige, mass and salon products and services under one roof – All Things Beauty, All in One Place™. We put our guests at the center of all we do, committing to offer her unrivaled ways to be beautiful in an environment that provides the thrill of exploration and delight of discovery.
The Senior Manager of Digital User Experience will lead the user experience (UX) team that is focused on defining key features and functionality for all digital guest and associate facing experiences. This person will utilize subject matter expertise, data, research and test & learn concepts to create new digital experiences on ulta.com, native applications and other digital channels. This person must be able to lead their team through thoughtful evaluation of ideas and execution of the eCommerce roadmap and digital initiatives across the organization. Work will consist of closely working and partnering with Management, IT, Marketing, Merchandising, Guest Services, Loyalty, Services and all other end to end eCommerce life cycle partners.
This person is responsible for aiding in the creation and outlining of consistent guest journeys across all inflection points and devices for ULTA ecommerce (website and app), along with associate facing digital experiences and other instore experiences. This person must have a solid understanding of different features for different form factors and outline the users’ interaction. Additionally, must have a thorough understanding of the competitive landscape, emerging online/digital trends and have a grasp on developing best in class engaging experiences.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the UX direction across ULTA's digital experiences including; website (desktop, tablet and mobile), mobile apps, associate facing digital experiences and other instore guest facing experiences
- Lead the User Experience (UX) team by managing, developing and evangelizing the UX competency at ULTA including executing UX Architecture and UX Research
- Manage a team of user experience architects, designers and researchers (employees and contractors) responsible for creating and delivering ULTA’s digital experiences
- Lead, inspire, motivate and develop the UX team’s skill set, ensuring their growth and success, while delivering usable, useful, compelling, consistent and delightful experiences
- Collaborate with the Director, Digital Site Experience to determine the needed roles, responsibilities and organization structure for the UX team at ULTA
- Represents the voice of the customer, based on customer research, analytic data, user experience best practices, along with beauty industry and ecommerce industry expertise
- Provide thought leadership to inform UX solutions for business needs and assess opportunities using customer centric approach that includes getting feedback directly form users of the experiences
- Review and approve the UX team’s work and deliverables; providing feedback, ensuring a high standard, high quality and usable digital experiences are being delivered that follow user experience best practices and meets the needs of the user
- Define and establish UX processes and procedures ensuring the UX team is working efficiently and effectively to deliver high quality experiences and deliverables, including UX deliverables, review processes and customer research options
- Collaborate with cross functional work partners (business, marketing, development and creative) to determine and outline processes ensuring the teams are working efficiently and effectively
- Manage UX across projects; including budgeting for internal and external resources per project, identifying research/usability testing needs and scoping timeline for UX deliverables
- Understand complex scheduling overlaps to be able to foresee timing or workload conflicts
- Prioritize projects, time and tasks to meet deadlines, for the entire UX team (architects, designers, researchers, etc.)
- Lead and drive the UX for large strategic projects; including scope, UX direction and needed research
- Bring cross functional teams together for brainstorms and working sessions to determine UX solutions and gather feedback
- Facilitate review sessions with work partners (creative team, business stakeholders, and development teams), UX team and leadership to share design direction and gather feedback
- Share research findings and UX design directions with executive leadership
- Gauge the usability of new and existing features, make suggestions for change and directs the team on appropriate solutions to move forward
- Define and prioritize user experience research to measure the current user experience, get input on new designs and identify opportunities to improve
- Create guest-centered designs through consideration of data, analytics, business requirements, customer feedback, and usability study findings
- Analyze web data, competitive analyses, industry trends, and usability best practices to inform and create digital experiences
- Maintain a mobile first approach, while balancing and optimizing the experience across all inflections and devices
- Partner with Senior Manager, Digital Optimization and Insights to mature the optimization and testing program, including site personalization, site marketing/merchandising and A/B testing
- Partner with Senior Manager, Digital Creative to ensure a cohesive working relationship across team members and delivery of digital experiences that meet our customers needs while ensure a consistent visual, on-brand experience.
- Effectively partner and/or own relationships with various 3rd party vendors, including UserTesting.com, SessionCam, etc.
- BS/BA degree in business, design, technology, psychology, human factors or HCI is preferred.
- Advanced degree/certification is desired
- 10+ years User Experience (UX) related experience
- 5+ years of web retail experience
- Demonstrated experience leading User Experience (UX) teams
- Proven ability to develop and mentor team members
- Extensive use of A/B online testing
- Ability to document, in detail, guest interaction points to translate into IT requirements
- Able to work collaboratively across functional groups, championing the guest and aligning on the right experience
- Experience with responsive, adaptive and/or mobile web design
- Experience with mobile application development
- Experience with all stages of the software development lifecycle in both traditional, waterfall and agile methodologies