SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The User Interface Designer supports the Product Team in presenting user experiences that adhere to brand guidelines, follow our design system and meet user needs. As a core member of our user experience team, UI designers are expected to collaborate with UX architects, product owners, developers and stakeholders to contribute to the definition and creation of user-centric design solutions that address customer needs and marry them with business goals.
The User Interface Designer participates in these areas of UX discipline:
• User Research
• Usability Testing
• Curating of Design System
• Documenting design for developers
• Creation of Prototypes
• Work with a team of UX designers to deliver easy-to-use experiences that empower our users and meet stakeholder expectations
• Maintain user-centric design best practices
• Help ensure consistency across application experiences
• Support development to ensure that design intent is communicated and understood
• Work with product leaders to ensure that we are leveraging our UX expertise properly within our product team to design + develop solutions for internal and external users
• Develop presentations, storyboards, and client feedback mechanism to communicate design process
• Work closely and often with stakeholders, clients, and IT
• Use design thinking methodologies to empathize, learn, ideate, challenge stakeholders, and peers
• Leverage user research when necessary
• Manage design deliverables with Agile project management techniques
• Provide QA of UX deliverables
• Contribute to brainstorms, ideation, and design thinking workshops
• Contribute to the design review cycle and gather requirements independently
• Raise the bar for product quality by advocating for user-centered product roadmaps
• Work with team members across time zones
• Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
• Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
• Verbal Communication – Proficient
• Written Communication – Proficient
• Teamwork – Proficient
• Relationships – Proficient
• Organizational Awareness – Proficient
• Learning Agility – Proficient
• Problem Solving – Proficient
• Process Orientation – Proficient
• Prioritization – Proficient
Role Specific Skills
• Working knowledge of usability principals + techniques
• Intermediate proficiency using UX applications (e.g. Sketch, InVision) to produce user interfaces, prototypes, and storyboards (preferred)
• Ability to story tell and frame problems for a diverse audience of stakeholders, helping them visualize design opportunities (preferred)
• Ability to create lightweight prototypes to test ideas (preferred)
• A love for design and understanding of its value (preferred)
• Knowledge of typography and visual design guidelines for mobile and web applications
• Ability to create intuitive designs for web and mobile applications (preferred)
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
• 2+ years of experience creating iterative design, working closely with developers from inception through implementation
• Experience designing and shipping software
• Experience working with product/engineering teams
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.