UX Visual Design Lead
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger's distribution centers and branches worldwide.
At Grainger, we are building systems that will extend our market leadership for another 90 years. While lots of companies talk about "digital revolutions" or "delightful experiences", we're focusing on building the stuff that matters. Our expertise is borne of a profound understanding of our customer and their needs and how our products and services do and should create value for them. It's borne of sweat and toil and dealing with complexity and scale problems that few companies are privileged enough to enjoy. We are looking for an exceptional UX Visual Design Lead to help guide and chart a course for Grainger's enterprise systems and application development so that Grainger continues to be the destination for "the ones that get it done".
The UX Visual Design Lead will oversee a small team of UX Visual designers in working closely with Corporate Communications to understand the usage and positioning of the Grainger Brand and adopt major guidelines and standards. This role will partner in user research studies and the evaluation of user feedback to create polished mockups that demonstrate proper style guide execution. The ideal candidate will be a demonstrated thought leader in the fields on information architecture, user experience design, and usability.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of Grainger's visual design, style guides and pattern libraries for all external and internal Grainger applications (1.0 and 2.0)
- Lead the development of user-centered designs by considering market analysis, data, customer feedback, user research and technical constraints/opportunities
- Provide mentorship and assistance to other team members regarding web interface design tools and techniques.
- Lead & coach a team of 2-5 Visual Designers
- Communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Collaborate across teams to enhance digital web properties
- Partner in user research studies and evaluation of user feedback
- Work with FED to ensure that UI patterns are accessible through common component library in order to ensure UI consistency
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Arts, Visual Communication, Product Design or related field
- 7+ years of experience in web design, design layout and web productions
- Experience in visual communication and web design, page layout, image manipulation, usability principles,
- Experienced in software development processes, as well as the development of online media and rich media, Web 2.0 technologies
- Knowledge of HTML, DHMTL as well as flash scripting languages, and be able to incorporate usability principles to achieve a strong user centered design
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.