UX/UI Designer at UrbanBound
UrbanBound is looking for smart, motivated, passionate team players to join our growing team of technologists revolutionizing the relocation industry. We believe that through innovative technology and superior support, we can turn a stressful, confusing, and overwhelming process into a predictable and manageable experience that exceeds our client’s needs.
UrbanBound is the leading provider of relocation management software. Our fast-paced team builds smart software to help HR and mobility professionals manage and track relocation benefits while offering employees a proven, self-guided process to relocate for their job. Our bold vision for the future of relocation challenges the way the industry has worked for decades, and we’re gaining significant traction as a result. Organizations ranging from the fastest-growing companies in the world to the Fortune 500, view UrbanBound as a critical component for their workforce attraction and retention strategy.
We’re building an inclusive workplace that offers top performers from all backgrounds the opportunity to collaborate and grow their careers. Learn more about our history, our core values, and what it’s like to be UB: http://urbanbound.com/careers
Who we’re looking for:
Someone with a passion for learning and a desire to solve problems every day. You may not have the answers right away, and that’s OK; what matters is getting in and figuring it out. We’re a small team, so you’ll need to contribute in as many different areas as you can. As such, excellent communication is a must; you will be working collaboratively with people across the entire organization to understand our customers and their challenges. We’re looking for a person who wants to make an impact, has a desire to innovate, who is not afraid to fail, and who will continue to drive forward until the solution is in place.
Objectives of the role:
- Work with the product management team to design innovative and user-friendly software that satisfies and supports our various users;
- Collaborate with the engineering team to ensure your designs are properly understood and implemented (both from a visual and interaction perspective);
- Contribute to and participate in design team UX practices including but not limited to working with personas, evaluating user behavior to inform your work, and conducting usability testing.
- Create wireframes based on product requirements, or with direction from the product team, that explore the user’s flow through a set of needs-based tasks;
- Iterate on interaction concepts based on feedback from technology and internal stakeholders to identify the best solution to take to market;
- Build prototypes to help with design exploration;
- Produce high-fidelity mockups that will help the business and the engineering team fully understand the design solution;
- Work within and contribute to an existing component library of design elements and patterns.
- 4+ years of experience building web-based products;
- Demonstrable success working with cross-functional teams to deliver results on time with limited direction;
- Ability to thrive in a high paced, agile environment;
- A desire to constantly be learning, and teaching;
- Familiarity with the challenges faced by modern web applications, and the array of solutions to those problems;
- Enjoy working with people in engineering, product development, sales, marketing, and customer support;
- Strong creative problem solving and communication skills. Effective writing skills;
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator;
- Familiarity with UX best practices such as user research and testing, and working with personas;
- Demonstrated ability to explain the design decisions you’ve made, and how best practices inform your solution;
- Experience with Figma and Invision, or comparable prototyping tools;
- Experience writing your own HTML/CSS is a plus. You will not write code in this role, but you should know how to code the designs you create.
- Must live in or be willing to relocate to the Chicago area.
- Please include links to your portfolio of work or a github account, blog, Twitter, etc. where we can learn more about you and your work.
- A collaborative work environment where you will make decisions daily that positively impact the business.
- A competitive salary and benefits that include pre-tax commuter benefit, 401K, discounted membership to building’s gym, and competitive health, dental and vision coverage.
- A work-life balance where family and health come first. Need to take a break? No problem. We have an open vacation policy, as we want everybody to feel well-rested, energetic, and ready to seize the day.
- A contemporary, welcoming office located in the central loop’s newly-renovated Franklin building — one of the most recognized skyscrapers in Chicago. This address has easy access to CTA trains and Metra and provides all the benefits of working downtown, such as an Amazon Go in the lobby, and several other restaurant options
- in the building.
- Company-wide celebrations; game night is a regular occurrence at UrbanBound as is wine night, book club, and sporting events. From trolley rides to boat tours to Whirlyball outings when we meet our quarterly goals, everyone celebrates!