Visual Designer at Morningstar
The Morningstar Direct group is the home of Morningstar's flagship product. We work to serve the needs of professional investors in the Wealth and Asset Management firms. Morningstar Direct connects the product, research, business intelligence, marketing, and wholesaling groups within these firms, and drives efficiency across their primary manufacturing, distribution, and marketing workflows by leveraging Morningstar's data, research, analytics, and reporting capabilities.
We seek a Visual Designer that can support the product marketing needs for our Direct and Reporting business. The ideal candidate will take a digital first approach to design and be interested in working across a broad spectrum of outputs ranging from sales tools, landing pages, videos, and experimenting with new mediums over the customer journey to help tell our story to clients and prospects. Reporting to the Director of Product Marketing for Direct and Reporting, with a dotted line to design leaders within the organization. There is a brand system in place that will give you a strong framework to approach your design. This individual will partner with Product Marketing, Campaign Marketing, Corporate Marketing and the Product, Research, Sales and Client Service teams. This role offers an excellent opportunity to make a real business impact for Morningstar. This role is located in our Chicago office.
Our Design Culture:
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating thoughtful content that can synthesize complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. The design organization is made up of several disciplines-visual, UX, communications, content, and research-united to help each other, and the whole company, grow. We're always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
- Owning all parts of the design process from discovery, definition, development, and delivery
- Making and articulating decisions around information structure, and relationships
- Applying creativity, logic, and critical thinking in new situations to find the best solution, while continuously striving to find better ways of doing things
- Demonstrating core design skills-especially concerning typography, composition, information hierarchy, and data visualization-to create delightful, engaging experiences that reinforce the Morningstar brand
- Solving challenging information and communication design problems and being able to present multiple concepts for consideration, with sound rationale
- Able to master complex information, and can translate that information in a way that resonates with users and encourages engagement
- Partner with other design teams such as brand, portfolio, and demand generation on integrated campaigns to ensure they align from a visual and messaging standpoint
- Develop best in class sales enablement tools to facilitate client communication
- Can take projects from start to finish, owning the creative concepting and production execution
- Open to feedback and knows how to defend design decisions
- Continuously striving for better ways of communicating and learning
- Curious, resourceful, flexible, adaptive, and willing to test and learn
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
- Able to bring energy to a team and keep things positive
- Experience working in a deadline-driven atmosphere with a mix of extended and quick-turnaround projects
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Digital Design, Communication Arts, Human Computer Interaction, Industrial Engineering/Design, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years of experience
- Confident self-starter with analytical and strategic capabilities, plus a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, creatively, and manage multiple stakeholders across many disciplines such as brand, visual design, product design, digital team
- Experience working with brand guidelines
- Strong knowledge of Figma, Sketch, InVision, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDeisgn, and Microsoft Office Suite - specifically PowerPoint
- Nice to have
- Understanding of web analytics, SEO, and content management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Adobe After Effects
Morningstar employees are required to be fully vaccinated or submit to regular testing to work in any office. Morningstar's vaccine policy may be modified to comply with evolving legal requirements and other changing circumstances.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity