Store Code: Architecture Governance (27162)
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Browse the Aisles
The Domain Architecture Lead is a Director-level position reporting to the PDL Technology Executive. This position will be accountable for defining and evolving the technology strategy, target-state architecture and technology roadmap for Peapod Digital Labs, in close alignment with Retail Business Services (RBS) and the Global Support Office (GSO). Key focus will be on the continued technology modernization journey from a legacy/monolithic eCommerce architecture, toward a flexible, scalable and high-performing architecture based on modern concepts such as microservices, headless, event streaming, DevOps automation and cloud. Strong leadership and collaboration will be required to prioritize architectural objectives in product backlogs and to instill architectural thinking across scrum teams.
In this leadership role, you will be responsible for building, directing and coaching a small team of domain architects. The domain architects play an important role in shaping the target-state architecture, enabling the introduction and evolution of applications and technologies, aligning key design decisions across teams during strategic initiatives, and providing guidance to teams during planning and implementation.
We are looking for an experienced technologist, conceptual thinker, great communicator and influencer, who has the ability to build strong partnerships with our business, product, engineering, DevOps and security teams. This role will benefit from an individual with experience in a similar microservices-based eCommerce business who is able to work within an Agile delivery model and can help accelerate PDL’s technology modernization journey.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
- Define, maintain and evolve the PDL technology strategy, target-state architecture and technology roadmap for PDL in close partnership with business, product and technology teams
- Align architecture strategies, roadmaps and high-level designs with other Ahold Delhaize entities such as Retail Business Services and the Global Support Office, as it pertains to omnichannel (e.g. store/POS, marketing & loyalty, data), infrastructure and security
- Develop and apply architecture standards, policies, principles and reference models, especially during the assessment and introduction of new applications and technologies. This also requires partnering with other teams to execute security risk assessments, legal reviews, open source reviews, etc.
- Review and recommend technologies and vendors in support of strategic business goals
- Perform day-to-day management of the PDL domain architects and guide them in their personal development
- Instill architectural thinking into scrum teams and provide mentoring and guidance; challenge the status quo and promote modern technologies and architectural patterns
- Establish an architecture community across PDL, bringing together solution/application/technology architects from the various engineering teams, with the goal of knowledge sharing, technology standardization, decision making and continuous improvement
- Identify and exploit synergies and reuse through collaboration with various teams in Peapod Digital Labs as well as other teams within the broader global Ahold Delhaize organization
- Govern architecture standards and decisions through process (e.g. architecture community/forum) and documentation (e.g. project start architecture); participate in US-regional and global architecture forums, representing PDL
- Act as a role model and champion of modern ways-of-working such as Agile, DevOps and related practices
- Instill financial discipline into architectural ways of working and ensure that IT roadmaps fit into our financial constraints
- Maintain knowledge on the latest industry news and challenges for digital, eCommerce, integration, data & analytics, cloud and automation
The Essentials in Your Cart - The required ingredients
- Degree level educated, preferably in Business, IT or Software Engineering
- 12+ years IT experience
- 5+ years’ experience in digital & eCommerce domain architecture at a senior level, demonstrating hands-on technical leadership and business impact
- 5+ years’ Scrum Agile methodology
- Demonstrated ability to translate conceptual and strategic thinking into practical solutions
- Enforce clear decision making and good trade-offs in complex situations comprising multiple opinions, needs, teams, technologies, vendors, etc.
- Broad understanding of eCommerce business processes and interdependencies
- Experience with a broad range of digital & eCommerce solutions, including: mobile and web platforms and technologies; search, shop and payment capabilities; digital marketing and loyalty solutions; order management, fulfillment and delivery solutions; data(base), analytics and personalization technologies; integration strategies and solutions; infrastructure, cloud and automation technologies
- Experience with modern architecture concepts such as microservices, event-driven architecture, API integration and gateway, data lakes, containers, etc.
- Experience with industry frameworks and practices such as TOGAF, DevOps, agile, scrum and SAFe
- Preference for experience with ElasticSearch, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Java/Spring, Azure, Kubernetes
- Proven track record in working collaboratively across functional areas to drive results
- Deep experience with project/knowledge management tools like Jira, Slack and Confluence
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; presentation experience to small and large groups both internally and externally
- Fast learner and self-starter
- Leadership presence and gravitas
- Interact effectively with representatives from Technology and Business Partners
- At ease discussing product development and implementation with the technical teams as easily as discussing product strategy with the business stakeholders
- Able to establish credibility with stakeholders, and use influence to build consensus to achieve goals
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Requisition: 9423_external_USA-IL-Chicago