Director of Technology, Product Capabilities
Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company`s infrastructure, the Technology team consists of talented developers, network architects, and IT experts who help make technology one of Morningstar`s core strengths. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology`s boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
In this role, you will lead the development of a 50+ person team that builds highly configurable, scalable, mobile web solutions. The team creates applications to deliver Morningstar data, analysis and research with cutting edge design globally.
An ideal candidate would be a self-starter who gets technology as an art, understands business goals and creates scalable, flexible technical solutions. The candidate would be fully responsible for delivery and ensuring modern software development practices are being applied with rigor. They would motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy and technical excellence. Establishing a good support infrastructure to handle production issues and being responsive to customer problems is essential to the role. Exposure & contribution to open source solutions are a big plus. This position is based out of our office in Chicago.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• Manage multiple teams and own overall delivery.
• Motivate team and create a strong culture of engineering excellence.
• Collaborate with cross-functional heads in product management and client management to deliver solutions.
• Be able to mentor team and manage organizational issues including performance calibration and salary reviews.
• Collaborate with teams in the US, EMEA & APAC for technical and non-technical issues.
• Analyze & remediate production issues and build in fault tolerance & operational readiness into the system architecture.
• Experience with high availability of systems is a must-have.
• Lead teams to collaborate on good object oriented designs & domain modeling.
• Enforce practices like test driven development, CI & test automation.
• Act as the software guardian. Own non-functional requirements, architectural direction, quality of the code and addressing technical debt.
• 12+ years of experience.
• Strong leadership capabilities, excellent communication skills.
• Experience with Agile Methodologies such as XP and Scrum.
• Experience managing multiple teams & geographically distributed development.
• Experience in analysis, design, coding and implementation of mobile web, enterprise Java (or .NET) web 2.0 applications. Exposure to Front-end technologies & design patterns e.g. Angular, Ember, Node, Backbone, Marionette etc. Experience with iOS is a plus.
• Understanding of Cloud platforms and SAAS architectures.
• Strong knowledge and ability to mentor team on OO design including design patterns, TDD, continuous integration and test automation.
• Understanding of operations and managing live production applications, monitoring, remediation and incident management.
• Good understanding of RESTful API design.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity