Director, User Experience & Interactive Design
This role is for just any UX designer.
This role is for a talented, thoughtful and ambitious product design creative - with something to prove.
After 20 years of becoming the Natural and Specialty products industry’s leading data provider, SPINS is seeking a product design visionary who is excited about transforming the way brands, retailers, distributors and consumers access and utilize information to improve their lives.
With a bleeding-edge portfolio of big data technologies, business intelligence and visualization tools and ventures division focused on incubating new emerging 3rd party technologies, SPINS is investing in the next level of design leadership to accelerate the fluency between our rapidly-expanding products, including breaking new barriers on how information gets delivered, how it is accessed via desktop, tablet and mobile devices, and how we can establish an expectation with our clients of over-delivering on their product experience expectations.
What will the job entail:
- Relentless pursuit of improvement. We strive for perfection, but in an agile environment, we value a design leaders passion for constantly seeking new ways to enhance the experience, regardless of what the original objectives are.
- Developing and maintaining a product design standards that bring our fast-growing portfolio of business intelligence, data visualization and consumer engagement software products together under a universal SPINS-branded design vision.
- Working alongside marketing, product management, engineering, and sales to inform the approach to over-deliver on client expectations of our products.
- Utilizing intelligent and creative design practices to deliver high-impact product with large quantities of data, through a fresh, simple and intuitive experience for users.
Discovery & Product Requirement Roundtables
- Collaborating with the product management team around requirements and asking “how” and “why” on behalf of the user so the design was informed by their needs
Concepting, Wireframing & Aligning Expectations
- Experimenting with new ways to tell stories through the wealth of data and insights SPINS is always seeking to deliver more efficiently to customers.
- Wireframing including thoughtful approaches to navigation, layout, responsive design consideration, user types
- Establishing A&B testing scenarios when applicable to generate the greatest insight in how to further optimize experiences around a user’s most organic behaviors
- Sharing and soliciting feedback from various product stakeholders to ensure the concepting is building alignment of expectations prior to the design and development process
Presentation, Polish & Go-To-Market
- Creation of high-fidelity design concepts that adhere to product style standards, but also continue to break new barriers on introducing new experiences to interact with the data to customers whenever applicable.
- Presentation of design to product and client-facing teams to encourage feedback to further refine the approach and account for final opportunities for improvements prior to development
- Collaborating with product QA team throughout the product development process to ensure designs are properly translating through the various phases of the development process all the way through new product launches
- Collaborating with the marketing team on bring out the best design components of new products or features that can be incorporated into client communications
While your talent and experience matters most, we have to mention these qualifications matter to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, a related subject or equivalent work experience
- Conversant in front-end technologies: CSS & HTML
- Experience in practicing a user-centered design approach to software products
- Outstanding project management, organization, communication and team building skills
- Strong understanding of responsive design principles and best practices
- Strong proficiency with data-driven product design & software
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment
- Experience in data visualization design
- Experience bringing a new product to market
We’re even more impressed if you:
- Graduate degree in Design, HCI, a related subject, or equivalent work experience
- Experience designing and conducting user studies and usability testing
- Work experience with another data visualization software or web-based product company
- Experience with user interviewing and usability testing
- Excited by the challenge to delight users with new features they didn’t expect
- Are obsessed with delivering the most amount of value to an end user, requiring the least amount of their effort