Application Engineer Sr. Specialist at CNA
Individual contributor providing expertise in systems analysis & design, application development, and systems integration of large scale applications leveraging Java technologies. This position needs to develop end-to-end understanding of systems (how to maintain centrally developed or integrated systems, how to develop alternate/automated solutions to business problems), partner with architects, and liaise with Managed Service Providers to enable delivery of strategic technology initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Designs large scale systems and their subsystems utilizing a thorough understanding of available technology, tools and existing designs.
- Researches and evaluates new solutions and recommends the most efficient application programming solution consistent with strategic direction.
- Provides comprehensive technical consultation to Business Unit and IT Management on all phases of application development for diverse development platforms and computing environments.
- Partners with Architecture to assist with the overall technology direction of CNA.
- Provides consultation on performance engineering, functionality testing, production implementation, application recovery, and application stability.
- Assists with the identification and selection of IT service providers.
- Leads the integration of vendor applications.
- Coaches Managed Service Provider resources on CNA technology processes and performs vendor code reviews as needed.
- May code new or modified programs, reuse existing code through the use of program development software alternatives and/or integrates purchased solutions.
Skills Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience in Cloud Technologies (preferably GCP) a plus
- Insurance industry knowledge a plus
- Guidewire Configuration knowledge/experience a plus
- Must be competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of application program/system design & implementation with excellent analytical & problem solving skills
- Ability to organize and plan effectively to meet both short and long range project goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers, architects, IT management, Business stakeholders, and Managed Service Providers.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience
- Typically a minimum of nine years of solid, diverse work experience in IT with a minimum of six years experience in application program development
- Applicable certifications preferred
Typically Director or above