Application Performance Engineer at DocuSign
Engineering & Tech Operations | Chicago, Illinois
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
Our Engineering & Tech Operations team builds and operates complex solutions for global business challenges that cross cultures, legal jurisdictions, and impacts millions of people and businesses every day. We hire people with a broad set of skills and people who want to work on creating never-been-done-before solutions at scale while ensuring world-class reliability and security. Our Agreement Cloud is a revolutionary solution that changes the way people live, work, and come to agreement.
The Application Performance Engineer will be part of the Performance Engineering team. You will be working with the operations team and engineering team to ensure system reliability and consistency of software performance. You will advise, recommend and drive key performance optimizations by collaborating across teams, assist in root cause analysis of performance defects and provide insights into optimization opportunities, and support the business’ capacity planning processes. You will enjoy fast-paced entrepreneurial environments where you can solve difficult problems using current technologies and tools. You will collaborate across teams when brainstorming, designing, and implementing new solutions. You will also help the team succeed by thinking about ways to improve processes, suggesting ways to make the team more effective, and mentoring and modeling performance engineering best practices.
This position is an Individual Contributor reporting to the Manager, Software Engineering in Performance.
- Ensure system reliability and consistency of software performance on a release by release basis
- Advise and assist delivery teams in design and construction of performant, scalable software solutions
- Recommend and drive key performance optimizations by collaborating across multiple technical teams and/or departments
- Serve as key contributor to maintaining performance industry standards and Cloud best practices across the organization
- Perform cloud, front and backend performance root cause analysis, provide key recommendations
- Assist in root cause analysis of performance defects and provide insights into optimization opportunities
- Analyze production data to identify cross-solution dependencies and application bottlenecks
- Support the business’ capacity planning processes
- Evaluate system performances and provide performance improvement recommendations
- Oversee system performance lifecycle and identify key metrics for performance improvements
- Trouble shoot the performance issues and provide solution immediately
- Perform root cause analysis of all performance issues and provide corrective actions
- Generate periodic performance reports
- Guide, mentor and train other engineers on performance and capacity monitoring in production
- BS degree in CS or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years professional experience in application monitoring using leading monitoring tools like Dynatrace, New Relic, HP Diagnostics, AppDynamics, JVisualVM, Perfmon and Splunk. Knowledge on any monitoring and analysis tools is welcome.
- Understanding of C# and .NET applications, SQL Server DB queries, Cassandra, Elasticsearch
- Knowledge on operating system concepts and how they relate back to applications and application containers.
- Experience in monitoring and understanding how to do performance troubleshooting and capacity planning on Linux/Unix and windows and distributed systems
- Capacity Planning on VMs and ESX hosts to ensure we have enough capacity to support 2X-4X peak loads and future growth
- Strong, self-motivated desire to continuously improve quality through optimization, automation, and innovation
- Expertise in root cause analysis of performance issues using native tools or other diagnostic tools like Process Explorer, DebugDiag, or Application Performance Management (APM) tools such as the ones listed above or any other APM tools, or order to understand where time is being spent on synchronous and asynchronous transactions
- Experience in JVM tuning, CPU bottleneck analysis, thread/heap dump analysis, disk I/O latency
- Able to translate business requirements to hardware resources needs
- Must enjoy investigating and digging into performance problems in order to find the root cause of issues
- Must enjoy collaborating across teams order to solve performance issues
- Experience managing and using Dynatrace or similar APM tools
- Experience using Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, Pingdom, Thousandeyes, Zabbix, Perfmon, Wireshark, Fiddler, Charles, browser tracing tools
DocuSign® helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, hundreds of thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. Plus, we save more trees together! And that’s a good thing.
DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at DocuSign are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.