Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Scala Engineer at Clearcover?
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Scala Engineer will work with the Product and Engineering team to develop and enhance services which support acquisition, third party integrations, new market launches, claims and insurance product. Additionally, the Scala Engineer combines technical expertise with best practices to help the scrum team define technical direction while solving complex business problems. It is the Scala Engineer’s job to drive continuous engineering improvement within the scrum team and across the entire SDLC.
What will you do as a Scala Engineer?
- Design, build and maintain our backend infrastructure using Scala
- Own features end to end while working with your scrum team to ensure success
- Collaborate with the scrum team to solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to architecture and feature development
- Scale, extend, and maintain our cross-functional APIs
What do you have as a Scala Engineer?
- Fluency in Scala, Kotlin, Java or other languages on the JVM.
- New services will be built in Kotlin so the ability to cross over from Scala to Kotlin is a plus.
- High standards for quality and attention to detail
- A holistic understanding of the full development lifecycle
- The ability to handle ambiguity and transform it into robust software
What other skills will help besides Scala?
- Experience with application performance monitoring
- Experience with scrum fundamentals
- Experience with and the desire to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social (for once we’re back in the office!)
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.