Cassandra Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Platform Team
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
About The Opportunity:
As a Site Reliability Engineer on the Platform Engineering team, it’s our job to provide the supporting infrastructure, automation as well as systems design knowledge to the team. You’ll be designing, building and testing Cassandra database infrastructure in all areas of the Grubhub infrastructure. This core role owns the subject matter expertise in Cassandra and how to leverage it best. You will also be called on to export knowledge and training to the developers and other engineers that leverage this platform on a day-to-day basis.
We pride ourselves on a highly available, highly scalable infrastructure, and datastores are no exception.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Multi-region, high-availability database clusters using Cassandra
- And wondering why is the speed of light so slow
- Real time data warehouse needs
- RPO/RTO - Ensure backups and restores work perfectly
- Monitoring - Build and manage the metrics and alerting for these critical systems
- Build - Write code to automate operations, build services and tools that make our company more effective
Below is a list of some of the tools we’re either currently using or have made the decision to use and will begin implementing shortly, hopefully with your help.
- Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu), Apache HTTPD, Tomcat, Flask
- Python, Scala, Java
- CollectD, ELK Stack, Splunk, DataDog
- All the AWS things
- Cassandra, MySQL, Redis
- Stash/Git, Confluence, Jira, Jenkins
You Should Have
- A passion for accuracy
- Be gutsy, and someone who isn’t afraid to try new things
- Are you someone who is comfortable failing, learning and trying again?
- Must be data obsessed - measure, optimize, repeat
- Someone with an automation mindset
- Be eager to share and document your knowledge to share with everyone
- Demonstrated experience designing, building, and operating Cassandra clusters
- Bonus if you can explain paxos
- Coding: Ability to write python code for automation. Bonus for application development in python.
- Ability to analyze metric data for capacity planning
- Linux - Must be able to explain IPC
- Experience building and running CI pipelines
- Experience with RDBMS such as MySQL, Postgres, or Oracle.
- Knowledge of distributed systems design and constraints
We’ve got a lot of challenges ahead of us and a lot of really awesome things we intend to get done. If you’re looking for a new challenge and want to join an awesome team, we’d love to hear from you. Thanks!
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected]and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.