We are looking for an experienced Clojure software developer to create services and applications that will change the mortgage industry completely!
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
So what do we want from you?
We want an engineer that knows Clojure, the Clojure ecosystem: cheshire, compojure, cli-time, and the suite of great Open Source clojure tools. We need someone who who knows how to build a complex architecture with microservices, distributed systems, Linux, latest deployment methodologies and tools, and has experience in modeling complex business domains. (S)he will also be responsible for leading other developers in architecture, design and modern engineering practices. We have a mixed platform environment with the focus in Linux-based and open source technologies.
A few other things too:
- Minimally 75% of your time will be hands-on coding - more is better.
- In line with DevOps philosophy, fully own applications from design to operations.
- We have a teaching & learning culture, be good at teaching others about Clojure and your technical approaches.
- Aid in improving standards and practices on your team (source control, testing, deployment, etc).
- Participate in recruiting and interviewing as we grow our team and the overall technology organization
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of 3 years software development experience working in a complex environment.
- 1+ years of experience with distributed application architectures
- Ability to produce efficient, clean code that is resilient and maintainable
- An understanding of performance tuning and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to understand business goals, recognize client needs and link them to specific technical solutions.
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral
- Expertise in Clojure
- Expertise in development on Linux platform
- Experience with CI or CD
- Experience with SOA and REST
- Experience with infrastructure as a service such as AWS is a plus
Guaranteed Rate is the eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the company has approximately 195 offices across the U.S. and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $23 billion in loans in 2016 alone. The company has become the Home Purchase Experts® by introducing the world's first Digital Mortgage technology and offering low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Guaranteed Rate won an American Business Award for its Digital Mortgage technology in 2016, ranked No. 1 in Scotsman Guide's Top Mortgage Lenders 2015, was chosen Top Lender 2016 by Chicago Agent magazine and made the Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces list five of the past six years. Visit rate.com for more information.