Cloud Engineer/Site Reliability Engineer at Discovery Education, Inc
Title: Cloud Engineer/Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL
Worker Type: Contract
Who are we?
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries.
Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.
- Assist in the migration of Discovery Education infrastructure to the cloud
- Design, build and maintain the core infrastructure used by Discovery Education’s global engineering teams
- Troubleshoot issues in production and other environments, working closely with Development, Database and QA team.
- Participate in team code reviews to ensure code quality standards
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation (escalation)
Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in education or ed-tech industry a plus
- Minimum 3 years as a linux systems engineer/administrator and at least two years running production web applications on AWS or a similar public cloud
- Experience running Docker in production
- Experience with an orchestration system like Terraform or Heat
- Experience with config management, preferably Puppet
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, or related field. Comparable work and technical experience may be considered.
Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: The ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach.
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information