About The Opportunity
Hungry for a new venture?
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, dedicated to connecting hungry diners with their favorite local restaurants. The people who work at Grubhub are our company's greatest asset; each person at Grubhub plays an integral part in building tools and technology that help restaurants succeed, and in cooking up fresh new ways to delight our diners.
The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from more than 55,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,100 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, AllMenus, and MenuPages.
We want you to enjoy where you work, who you work with and what you work on. At Grubhub, you can order your cake and eat it too!
The Decision Data team at Grubhub is a geographically dispersed team tasked with ensuring data required for accurate business reporting is available and flowing throughout all our systems to enable faster, more consistent, data driven decisions.
As a Sr. Data Engineer you’ll play a key role in shaping a data driven organization. You’ll need to have a keen understanding of business processes as well as how data flows in our data and technology stacks. You will be talking to stakeholders to anticipate questions and drill down into the data points that must be captured in our data warehouse for quick and accurate reporting. Clear communication is a must in order to ensure data is flowing.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Thread business requirements through our state-of-the-art data and tech stacks. We’re talking infinitely scalable microservices backed by a robust big-data engine
- As an early member of the Decision Data team you’ll have lots of influence on our patterns and practices as the team grows and evolves
- Take a problem, break it down, find commonalities that will enable wins cross business units
- Collaborate with the right people to define and refine scope and priorities
- Doing deep dives on business verticals where you become one of the foremost experts on that vertical in the company
- Analyze data to measure impacts of data schemas and use it to iterate on improvements
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way
You Should Have
- 5-7 years of experience with business/data analysis, project management, data warehousing and/or software/data engineering
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in a computer-related discipline
- SQL Skills; you’ll need to be able to weave data into shapes that are easy to dig into and find answers
- Experience in data warehousing, big data tools (Spark/Hive) or data governance a plus
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to crystallize and broadly socialize insights
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in working with and solving for our business stakeholders
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
- Adaptability and collaborative skills
- Enthusiasm for the job. Are you excited about data? Do you love your users? Good, the same goes for us
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected]bhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.