Developer / Senior Developer at Panopta
Panopta is a SaaS monitoring platform that helps companies monitor their infrastructure from every angle - external, on-server, and behind the firewall. We've been able to remain small and nimble while scaling our product to meet the needs of any customer and environment. We recently raised a round of funding and are looking to accelerate our growth. We’re also a pretty nerdy group.
Our office is located in River North and we'll be moving to the Loop in late 2018, within walking distance of the CTA and both Metra terminations. Candidates must be willing to work onsite.
We are looking for a software developer with experience building production applications using Python and modern web application stacks. You will work alongside the rest of our development team and get a chance
In this role, you will:
- Build new products & features Our entire monitoring service is custom built by our development team. In addition to building new functionality there is ample opportunity both to fix bugs and make yourself a better developer.
- Work with a wide range of software We build and run on everything from mainframes to the cloud to mobile devices. We don’t do any desktop development, but touch most everything else, including significant web applications, streaming data processing, large-scale analytics and mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Work with Ops to get stuff out the door We do releases multiple times per week, so you’ll work closely with our operations team to make sure that releases go out smoothly and continue to operate that way post-release.
- Collaborate with our Product team You’ll interact on a daily basis with our product leads to explore new functionality, flesh out new ideas and help plan out future directions for our service.
- Shape the future of our tech Want to explore a new technology? Look into it. Then tell us why we should (or shouldn't) use it
Tools We Use:
- Python - The bulk of our infrastructure is built in Python, including web applications built on Flask, TurboGears and Tornado as well as lots of custom distributed applications that run our data collection and processing system.
- MySQL and InfluxDB - These two systems support our core customer/configuration and time series data.
- Kafka - We’re migrating core backend data processing systems to a streaming model using Kafka as our central messaging system.
- Google Cloud Platform - our SaaS service runs in Google’s cloud environment, making use of their managed services wherever possible. We also work closely with AWS and Azure for customer environments.
- Vue.js - Our main web applications make use of Vue to make interfaces as usable as possible for our customers.
- Ansible & Terraform - All packaging and deployment of our software is automated to support regular, streamlined releases.
- Experience building and shipping production applications, preferably in a SaaS environment.
- 2+ years of Python, Ruby or other object-oriented experience. Experience with Go, Rust or similar languages is a bonus.
- Comfortable building for and working in Linux. We primarily use Ubuntu for our production systems, but also support RedHat, Solaris, AIX, BSD, Windows and other environments.
- Experience with database-driven development, including schema design and ORM libraries.
- A desire to jump into code, front-end or back-end, figure out how things work and make it better.
++ Bonus Points For:
- Familiarity with systems and network administration. You don’t need to be a sysadmin to be successful in this role, but most of our customers are; an understanding of how they work and think is valuable to delivering the best solutions for them
- Mobile application development experience with iPhone and/or Android is a plus, especially if you have experience with a hybrid app framework such as React Native or Ionic