DevOps Director at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles-
DevOps Lead will have a deep understanding of how applications function and are able to change applications for production quality and high degree of operational reliability. Understands automation and how it is best applied to reach a continuous delivery goal. DevOps Lead will be working on longer-term engagements with DevOps, SRE and Application teams for developing automated SRE platform to provide DevOps as a Service.
We use a combination of managed and self-hosted approaches. This is a unique opportunity to be part of the engineering organization in areas of standardized automated infrastructure and service provisioning and orchestration, service-oriented architectural excellence, and forward-looking planning and execution of large technical projects.
Recipe for Success - What's "in store" for the role
- Define a roadmap for all engineering teams to utilize fully automated, self-service, highly scalable, cost-efficient, observable, auditable and reliable infrastructure, continuous delivery, environments and analytics services as standard practice
- Manage team of 15+ DevOps & Site Reliability Engineers
- Drive the execution of this roadmap across the engineering teams, collaborating with SREs and engineers across development teams while also performing hands-on work on the most critical challenges
- Provide expert technical guidance and ongoing engineering design review to teams planning and implementing large migrations, service-oriented architecture, broad architectural shifts, and capacity growth
- Build a metrics-driven operational culture standardizing our practices and review as well as for logging, monitoring, alerting, and on-call practices
- Make iterative improvements to blameless incident management processes, root cause analyses, outage prevention, and service recovery strategies across the engineering organization
- Partner closely with Development, Security, Quality, Operations and Product teams to achieve high priority security, privacy, compliance, reliability and business-continuity objectives on our overall roadmap
- Propose and drive large improvements to production systems to achieve significant improvements for our business and engineering teams
- Mentor and coach engineers to be curious and effective at discovering and solving technical challenges
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- You have proven experience (15+ years) demonstrating hands-on technical leadership and business impact in combining software engineering skills with systems engineering skills to solve complex automation and reliability challenges
- You have deep technical experience with various cloud providers, containerization technologies, automated deployment frameworks, orchestration frameworks, monitoring, logging, alerting, system internals, networking, databases, distributed systems, and service-oriented architecture
- You have the skills to implement load, stress, performance and reliability testing standards at scale to improve service, platform and infrastructure resiliency
- You promote openness, diversity of opinions and inclusive discussions at all times to evaluate a wide variety of ideas and perspectives in solving challenging problems • You demonstrate clear decision making and good trade-offs in complex situations comprising multiple opinions, needs, teams, technologies, cloud providers, and architectural settings
- You communicate effectively with stakeholders ranging from executives to junior engineers across the breadth and depth of the engineering organization
- You exemplify high accountability, integrity, and resilience to maintain focus on both big-picture goals and milestones to get there
- You enable the engineering organization to innovate and deliver with greater speed and safety
- Experience with Jenkins, Terraform, SALT, Kubernetes (AKS), Azure, VMWare, Splunk, Docker, Python, Bitbucket, SonarQube, Git, Ansible, Splunk, Datadog
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Eagerness to learn and work outside your technology comfort zone
- Ability to be self-motivated, independent, and detail-oriented
- Follow the Agile (more specifically Scrum) working methodologies
- Collaborate with team members from Product, Development, QA, Security and Ops
- Focus on making yourself and those around you great
- Motivation with an emphasis on team performance
- Knowledge of VueJS, Java, PostgreSQL, Kotlin, SQL, AngularJS, Pentaho, Informix
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.