At Echo we are committed to help our Associates grow their career. Apply today and grow with Echo!
Echo Global Logistics is a leading provider of technology-enabled solutions and supply chain management. We utilize technology to simplify transportation management for our clients and carriers by handling the critical tasks on their behalf so they can focus on what they do best. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses that ship their product with carriers who transport those goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Echo Global Logistics has recently been ranked in Crain's Business as a Top 25 Tech Employer in Chicago along with other recognitions as the top 3PL provider. We are looking for incredible people to join our team and help carry out our mission of providing our clients with best in class service and technology!
As a DevOps Engineer, you will work closely with Echo’s Infrastructure teams to ensure smooth delivery and maintenance of developed applications into production. This role will assist and guide the Operations teams to learn and adopt continuous delivery practices and efficient use of tools to accomplish their goals. As technical problems arise, you will partner with Operations team to find solutions. Additionally this role will work with the Operations Engineers to refine and improve the tools that and procedures that Echo Global Logistics uses to improve operational excellence across all of IT.
Principal Accountability | Automation
- Design, develop, test and document new automated solutions to improve current or create new processes
- Research new technologies and best practices to improve current or create new processes
- Schedule and perform system maintenance to maximize the efficiency of IT efforts
- Reduce build, deployment and configuration complexity for custom and third-party applications through automated solutions
Principal Accountability | Programming
- Create new high end applications using PowerShell
- Use scripting to support fully automated deployments
- Code user dashboards
- Use scripting to capture metrics and correlate them to the events that happen in our Infrastructure
Principal Accountability | Troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot legacy programming code written in multiple different languages
- Field incoming problem requests from end users to resolve application and software issues within a Windows environment and other mission-critical systems
Principal Accountability | Performance
- Design, execute and document baseline performance of build and deployment process
- Analyze performance results and recommend optimizations to hardware/software configurations and environment setup
- Provide coaching and assistance to the development teams for the creation and execution of newly developed functionality
- Build, execute and analyze proof-of-concept performance enhancements
- Work with development team to profile and optimize architecture and infrastructure
Principal Accountability | Team Member
- Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
- Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment.
- Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks.
- Acts in the interest of the overall team.
- Actively works on broadening or adding skills
- Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
- Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value
- Contributes to the success of the team
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced, fluid work environment
- Capable of presenting technical ideas and concepts in business -friendly language
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent years of experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including technical documentation skills
- Self-managed and motivated
- Ability to follow through with tasks to their completion, organized, and detail oriented
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- SAN/Data Layouts, Clustering, High Availability and DR
- 2+ years of PowerShell Experience
- 2+ years of CruiseControl.Net or Jenkins CI Experience
- 2+ years of Subversion Experience
- Experience with Web Servers (REST, HTTP/S, TCP/IP) is required
- Experience with the Windows Server Environment is required
- Experience with Scrum/Agile methodologies is preferred
- Understanding of Object-Oriented programming techniques (.Net), SDLC, Unit Test Techniques, Debugging/Analytical Techniques a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager is a plus
- Experience with NANT, ANT, MSBUILD, NUNIT is a plus
- Experience with Git is a plus
- Knowledge of Linux, Python and nginx a plus
Work environment/physical demands summary:
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.