Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a mid-to-senior level DevOps Engineer to help us to manage our growing cloud infrastructure needs. You'll work closely with our engineering, QA, and product teams to provide best practices, tooling, and support, and enable our continued growth. You will play a critical role in enabling the scaling and security of our cloud infrastructure, as well as our production capacity.
A day in the life could include:
- Maintaining, designing, implementing and upgrading our cloud infrastructure to support our application platforms
- Owning and supporting underlying infrastructure and cross-cutting services such as logging exception tracking and monitoring
- Minimizing risk of site reliability related failure outcomes as pertaining to durability, availability, performance, and security
- Implementing best practices to improve reliability, instituting performance improvements, and improving the software development process, including the buildout of testing environments. This includes engineering solutions for ensuring the reliability of the platform, including mandating a BCP strategy and following sound DevOps practices
- Taking ownership of the production risk environment by monitoring availability and developing metrics for measuring platform health--helping to establish SLAs and KPIs for system availability
- Driving the incident management process for system outages and service degradations
- Helping develop tooling systems, and workflows that assist Kin’s Engineering, QA, and Product team, to achieve high-quality software
- Working throughout the technology stack to develop, and monitor solutions that allow for continued scalability and security
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Background in developing distributed applications, cloud technologies, and delivering self-service infrastructure
- 4+ years of Devops / SRE experience
- 2+ years experience with high availability, concurrent distributed infrastructures
- Experience with leading cloud technologies like Amazon Web Services and Terraform
- Extensive experience working with Linux containers, schedulers and surrounding tools such as Docker
- Expertise in creating automated CI/CD Pipelines with tools such as Jenkins and Github Actions
- Proficiency with one or more scripting languages (Ruby, Python, or similar)
- Database administration experience (PostGres preferred)
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.